Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Buzz Buzz is offline

Default how do I restore the original margins on my word doc template?

When I open up "word" to type a document, the margins are less than 1/8" on
each side, 1/2" on top and no margin on the bottom.
Also, when I open a created word doc file with shipping labels, I merge the
date and when I print, the information no longer lines up as before.
Thank you, Buz Swyers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:33:02 -0700, Buzz wrote:

When I open up "word" to type a document, the margins are less than 1/8" on
each side, 1/2" on top and no margin on the bottom.
Also, when I open a created word doc file with shipping labels, I merge the
date and when I print, the information no longer lines up as before.
Thank you, Buz Swyers

Shut down Word. Find the Normal.dot template (or Normal.dotm in Word 2007),
probably in the folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates (type this path into the
address box of Windows Explorer). Rename that file to Normal.old. Restart Word,
which will create a new template from its internal default settings.

If you had customizations in the old template that you want to keep, use the
Organizer to copy them to the new one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Modinha Modinha is offline

Hello, I please see my issue below. I tried what you suggested with trying
to reload the normal template, and it reloaded the same problem.

All of my new Word documents, that are set at "letter" size in page set up,
are loading with the ruler showing a print area of 6" x 8". The ruler allows
for a one inch margin on either side, but the size of the page is wrong. My
documents are printing to the upper left hand size of the page - and it
doesn't matter if I'm on my home computer station or my laptop. If I could
only fix the ruler???

In fact, the files I transferred from my laptop seem to have "infected" my
home station. I am very alarmed - and it's impossible to manage my business
when I am unable to work with or print a file correctly. This seems to be a
bug.

Any help out there? I've tried reset points. I've combed through every
formatting option.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I suspect you have either comments or tracked changes in your documents or
templates, and Word is shrinking the page to allow space on the right side
for balloons to show those items. This may happen even when there are no
visible changes or balloons if the file contents are corrupted.

Turn off Track Changes if it's turned on (Tools Track Changes). Display
the Reviewing toolbar, click the down arrow next to the Reject Changes
button, and select Reject All Changes in Document. Also click the arrow
again and choose Delete All Comments in Document.

Finally, go to Tools Options Track Changes and set the Use Balloons
dropdown to Never.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

[...]