Gene

Default Word 2000 Sp3 Jap Unicode CVS + Word

Dearl All,

I have a Japanese word doc which opens up just fine. When I choose a Unicode
CVS file as the datasource I am not prompted for the Confirm Conversion
screen so that I can choose unicode and thus the Japanese Unicode merge text
comes out as garbage and I receive and invalid merge field error.
Interestingly, when I right click on the cvs file and open with word it does
prompt at this magical "confirm conversion" dialog box.

This document works just fine in word 2003, and interestingly on one of
about 20 machines outfitted with the same Office 2000 SP3 setup. I do not see
a difference between the 20 and this one machine. Anyone with ! for reading
this!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?R2VuZQ==?=,

I have a Japanese word doc which opens up just fine. When I choose a Unicode
CVS file as the datasource I am not prompted for the Confirm Conversion
screen so that I can choose unicode

Do you have "Confirm conversions on open" activated in Tools/Options/General?
If not, try and see if that helps.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Gene

Cindy

Thanks your your reply. I do indeed have that checked, but it does not work.
Perhaps there is a registry entry that I can modify to enforce this?

Gene

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?R2VuZQ==?=,

I have a Japanese word doc which opens up just fine. When I choose a Unicode
CVS file as the datasource I am not prompted for the Confirm Conversion
screen so that I can choose unicode

Do you have "Confirm conversions on open" activated in Tools/Options/General?
If not, try and see if that helps.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Gene,

Thanks your your reply. I do indeed have that checked, but it does not work.
Perhaps there is a registry entry that I can modify to enforce this?

I don't know of any; but that doesn't mean there mightn't be one. you could try
asking in the word.international.features newsgroup if anyone there has any better
idea. (You'll probably need to use a newsreader to access that group, such as
Outlook Express.)

Just to the user working, until you can track down the difference: try opening the
file in Word and saving as a Word document (*.doc). Then link that in as the data
source.

I have a Japanese word doc which opens up just fine. When I choose a Unicode
CVS file as the datasource I am not prompted for the Confirm Conversion
screen so that I can choose unicode

Do you have "Confirm conversions on open" activated in Tools/Options/General?
If not, try and see if that helps.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)