dns2005

Default Inserting a MS Access Query as a field using Office 2002

I'm trying to insert an MS Access query into MS Word. The data updates ok and
the link works, however the date changes from UK format to US when the merge
takes place and I cannot seem to change this. As its coming as an entire
query rather than individual fields, there isn't a specific date field
within the code that I can amend. All language/version settings etc for Word
and Access are for UK and I've tried changing the default version of Access
from 2000 to 2002, however this still does not work. In the database itself
the data type for the field is set to date and the format is short date
(changing the format doesn't make a difference.) It does work when I change
the data type to text, however can anyone tell me what I can do to make it
work with the data type as date. This is driving me up the wall!!
Cindy Meister

What you describe is a problem in the original release of Word/Office 2002.
It was rectified in a Service Pack (SP), at least to the extent that it won't
switch your month and day values.

What won't happen, however, is getting the dates to come across in any other
format than a default short format. The new connection method precludes
picking up any formatting from the data base.

There are a number of possible approaches (once the SP has been installed).
One is to change the connection method back to DDE. Another is to add
formatting switches to the merge fields in the Word document. A third would
be to set up your query to do the transformation to text on the fly.

All these are discussed in the Word 2002/2003 section of my website's mail
merge FAQ.

-- Cindy