Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
carol123 carol123 is offline

Default bibliography and citations

I am trying to set up a bibliography. I click on the reference tab and the
citation is checked. Everything else is grayed out. I am unable to set up apa
style or create a bibliography. Please help.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What do you mean, "The citation is checked"? The icon for the
citations menu happens to have a check-mark in it. Do you have a
document (even a blank document) open?

You can add the first item to your bibliography file either by putting
your cursor in a document and clicking "Add new source," or by
clicking "Manage sources." Type in as little as an author and date,
and you get a citation in your document. You can go back and fill in
the details (needed for your bibliography) later on. Or, if you click
"Add new placeholder," you don't even need accurate information at all
-- you just have to go back later and fill it in.

Once you have something in your bibliography file, you can choose APA
or Chicago or whatever. (Be aware that few if any of those choices
accurately follow all the rules for their respective styles.) You can
choose among the entire list at any time you're in your document, and
all the citations and bibliography entries (if you've inserted a
bibliography) will update right away.

On Oct 1, 10:07*am, carol123
wrote:
I am trying to set up a bibliography. I click on the reference tab and the
citation is checked. Everything else is grayed out. I am unable to set up apa
style or create a bibliography. *Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Natalie Natalie is offline

I am having a similar problem. I cannot access the 'bibliography' or 'manage
resources' buttons. They are grayed out. I have an open document with text
and references typed in the document. Any thoughts?
--
thanks.

wrote:
I am trying to set up a bibliography. I click on the reference tab and the
citation is checked. Everything else is grayed out. I am unable to set up apa
style or create a bibliography. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Penny Penny is offline

No..you can't click on it, it it greyed out, I am having the same problem.
Nothing I do will make citations or bibliogrpahy work, only add citation is
active, and it only directs me to a search. This is VERY frustrating. I tried
adding the icons for bibliography and styled to my quick tool bar and it
shows up but it still greyed and inactive....PLEASE help, I need this for my
thesis.

wrote:
I am trying to set up a bibliography. I click on the reference tab and the
citation is checked. Everything else is grayed out. I am unable to set up apa
style or create a bibliography. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

If it is grayed out, and you could never use the tool before with this copy
of Word, it is likely that something went wrong during the installation. The
only known solution is an uninstall followed by a reinstall of Word. A
repair won't help.

See also:

http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forum.as...res-Greyed-Out
http://www.pchelpforum.com/office-so...rencing-2.html
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...e-missing.html

According to the last post in the last link, uninstall and reinstall is also
the solution MS suggests.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com

news

wrote:
I am trying to set up a bibliography. I click on the reference tab and
the
citation is checked. Everything else is grayed out. I am unable to set
up apa
style or create a bibliography. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First see if the problem continues to occur when you start Word in Safe
Mode. Hold the Ctrl key while starting Word and continue holding until
prompted to start in Safe Mode. If the Citation and Bibliography buttons are
now enabled then the likely cause is a third-party add-in. To check your
add-ins follow these steps:

- Start Word normally
- Click the Office Button, and then click Word Options.
- Select Add-ins and view the list of Active Add-ins along with the add-in
Type.

If the Type is a COM Add-in then you can disable the add-in using the Manage
options near the bottom. Make sure COM Add-ins is selected and then click
Go. Deselect the add-in(s) to disable them.

If the Type is a Template then you need to select the add-in and make a note
of the Location and file name in the details below the list of Add-ins.
You'll need to exit Word, find the file and move it out of the folder to
prevent it from loading when Word starts.

If the button is disabled when you start in Safe Mode then are you able to
use any of the other Building Block galleries? For example on the Insert
tab, is Cover Page, Header, Footer, Text Box, etc enabled and can you insert
an entry?

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

news