Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BigDaddyCool BigDaddyCool is offline

Default Font question

How can I get a monospaced font that has an exact width of 1/8th of an inch
(and therefore will fit 48 characters on a six-inch line)? It will line up
perfectly with the horizontal ruler. This would be a huge help for my study
guide.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Courier or Lucinda Sans Typewriter at 14.5 will fit 48 characters into a 6
inch line. Monospaced fonts don't look great, and you cannot guarantee 48
characters as the wrap around will take long words on to the next line. Why
not just justify text?
--
Rae Drysdale

"BigDaddyCool" wrote:

How can I get a monospaced font that has an exact width of 1/8th of an inch
(and therefore will fit 48 characters on a six-inch line)? It will line up
perfectly with the horizontal ruler. This would be a huge help for my study
guide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BigDaddyCool BigDaddyCool is offline

Courier doesn't fit 48 characters on a line, it fits 49 characters on a line!
Arrrgh! So close!

See, the thing is if I have an even 1/4th inch long character font, I can
easily format my margins without holding down the Alt key and having to try
really hard to make sure the characters all line up perfectly when I use the
Left Indent thing on the ruler. Big pain that is.

"BigDaddyCool" wrote:

How can I get a monospaced font that has an exact width of 1/8th of an inch
(and therefore will fit 48 characters on a six-inch line)? It will line up
perfectly with the horizontal ruler. This would be a huge help for my study
guide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The default spacing of the margins and tab settings are user configurable
the former by the grid (drawing menu) the latter in the tab dialog.