Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cynthia M. Cynthia M. is offline

Default seeing {merge format} instead of a graphic

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alt-F9; or select any individual field(s) (or all of them: Ctrl-A) and
Shift-F9

On Oct 8, 7:57*pm, Cynthia M. Cynthia
wrote:
I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. *She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. *When I clicked to open it, *a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). *I clicked yes. *Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. *Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. *But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. * This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. *I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. *What do I do to correct the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Peter,

If all the field codes are showing, it is highly unlikely that selecting either one or all fields then pressing F9 will change
that - only Alt-F9 or Word Options|Advanced and unchecking the 'show field codes instead of their values' option (under 'Show
document content') is likely to do so.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote:
I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

You said "Alt-F9; or select any individual field(s) (or all of them: Ctrl-A) and Shift-F9".
Everything after the 'Alt-F9' is misleading and probably irrelevant.

--

wrote:

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And you referred to "pressing F9," which was not anywhere in Peter's
response.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Typo. The fundamental problem with what Peter is saying re Shift-F9 is that next time the document is opened, it'll default to the
code view and the OP will be back towhere he/she started.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote:

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

While it's _possible_ that "show fields instead of results" somehow
got turned on, nothing in Cynthia's posting suggests how that could
have happened. It' seems more likely that she could have accidentally
typed one of the keyboard shortcuts for showing field codes.

On Oct 9, 7:19*pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi Suzanne,

Typo. The fundamental problem with what Peter is saying re Shift-F9 is that next time the document is opened, it'll default to the
code view and the OP will be back towhere he/she started.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in . ..

And you referred to "pressing F9," which was not anywhere in Peter's response.

If all the field codes are showing, it is highly unlikely that selecting either one or all fields then pressing F9 will change
that -

http://word.mvps.org

"macropod" wrote in l...

wrote:

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

It' seems more likely that she could have accidentally
typed one of the keyboard shortcuts for showing field codes.

The problem affected *all* the OP's files. That is enough to show:
1. she probably accidentally typed Alt-F9
2. no amount of Shift-F9 would address the underlying issue.

--

wrote:

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thus if she had worked through my reply in order, her problem would be
solved. The first thing I said was Alt-F9.

It was useful additional information that she could also toggle her
codes one at a time, probably a more useful tool than showing them all
(if there happen to be a lot on a page, it gets confusing.)

wrote:

I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cynthia M.[_2_] Cynthia M.[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your help. I only saw the first reply to my post before trying
what Peter suggested. When I got to work the next day, I opened the file I
had created that contained the graphics I am using. I placed the cursor at
the top of the page - not highlighting or selecting anything. I then pressed
Alt + F9. That did the trick. All the graphics re-appeared. I then opened
some other files at random and saw the graphics had re-appeared in those
documents as well, just from having done Alt + F9 in the graphics file.

I greatly appreaciate this forum, since all the searches I did in Word 2007
help, never addressed the issue or gave me the oh-so-simple solution.

wrote:
I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cynthia M.[_2_] Cynthia M.[_2_] is offline

As for trying to find the solution in Word 2007 help - perhaps had I known
that what I was looking at were called field codes, I might have found the
solution. Now that I know it, I still can't find the solution you offered.

wrote:
I e-mailed a word document as an attachment to a supervisor. She made a few
changes to it and e-mailed it back to me. When I clicked to open it, a box
popped up asking me if I wanted to merge with ??? (sorry, I didn't write it
down because I didn't know it would create a problem). I clicked yes. Since
then I can't view graphics in ANY of my Word 2007 files. Instead of a
graphic I get:

{INCLUDEPICTURE " \*MERGE FORMAT}

When I print the document, the graphic appears on the printout. But it
doesn't appear on my screen when I have the file open. This is quite a
problem, as I've "lost" all my graphics. I'm writing a training manual and
need the issue correct asap. What do I do to correct the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word Help has been getting worse and worse with each new version of
Word.