Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Disclaimer Disclaimer is offline

Default Why after deleting a footnote, those that follow do not renumber?

I am editing a Word document (Version 2002, 10.2627.2625) and when I remove a
footnote, the footnotes that follow do not renumber, as they should. For
example, if I remove footnote 10, the footnote that follows remains 11,
instead of renumbering to 10. How can I correct this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have Track Changes on? If so, numbering (in general, not just
footnotes) won't be correct until you've accepted all the changes. If not,
was the document converted from WordPerfect? If so, sometimes footnotes
don't convert properly; although they look correct, the numbering apparently
doesn't use the same kind of fields Word uses for footnote numbering.