Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Ball Andrew Ball is offline

Default How do I turn off the auto complete date function?

I have Word 2007, and Microsoft have spent a long time moving and renaming a
lot of the functions I was used to so I don't know how to change things
anymore.
When I type the date in a Word 2007 document now, for instance 18 November
2008, as soon as I hit return to start a new line, (like every time I write a
letter, something I do at work several times an hour!), Word helpfully "auto
completes" the date as "18 November 2008-11-18", the only way I can continue
typing is to hit return again to create the new line I wanted in the first
place, then using the arrow keys, navigate back to the unwanted text and
delete it character by character, then use the down arrow to get back to my
new line. The "Undo" button would get rid of the unwanted "auto" text, but
when I hit "return" again to create my new line, it just reappears. As I
often need to refer to a date that isn't today's date, this feature is
extremely annoying.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Ball Andrew Ball is offline

I've just found a wonderful reply elsewhere under the "Auto Date Complete"
thread, which I'll take the liberty of copying and pasting here. It Works!!
Thanks to Herb Tyson for the solution

Herbs solution: -

If it's Word 2007, you'll need a macro to do it, as described he

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...-in-word-2007/

Although now I've got another question, how did you make the hyperlink work
as a link and not just appear as plain text? PErhaps any readers should visit
the thread "Auto Date Complete - 2 posts"dated 6-19-2007 and only 6 threads
below mine at the time of writing

"Andrew Ball" wrote:

[...]

Auto date complete Wooster Microsoft Word Help 2 November 18th 08 11:59 AM
how do I get Word to auto complete the complete date? No Name New Users 8 September 25th 07 02:26 PM
Date Auto Complete JJS-53 Microsoft Word Help 5 February 18th 07 12:30 AM
date auto complete? Freddy New Users 1 February 15th 07 07:40 PM
Need to have an option to complete turn off auto format, not just. Autoformat woes Page Layout 1 April 15th 05 08:49 PM