Long Nguyen

Default Problem with Indent in Word 2002 Document!

Hi,

I am using Word 2002 and having a problem with the indent. In Landscape
setting, the right indent is set at 9" on the ruler, but the text stops at
6", leaving 3" of blank space. In Portrait setting, the right indent is set
at 6", but the text stops at 5",leaving 1" of blank space. I tried to move
the right indent tab, but that still did not change anything.

Thanks in advance for help!
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Does it happen in every document view? For example, try View - Print Layout,
View - Normal, and File - Print Preview. Does it happen in each of those?

Is there any other formatting at work? If you show the Task Pane's Reveal
Formatting pane, what does it show?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Long Nguyen" wrote in message
It happens to every new document.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Does this happen in all documents, or just in one document?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Long Nguyen" Long wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Word 2002 and having a problem with the indent. In Landscape
setting, the right indent is set at 9" on the ruler, but the text stops
at
6", leaving 3" of blank space. In Portrait setting, the right indent is
set
at 6", but the text stops at 5",leaving 1" of blank space. I tried to
move
the right indent tab, but that still did not change anything.

Thanks in advance for help!

Herb Tyson [MVP]

There's probably an odd default setting in your normal.dot file. If you
start Word in Safe Mode (hold down the Ctrl key as Word starts, then click
Yes when prompted for Safe Mode). Does the problem still occur? If not, then
try the resolution steps shown he

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

If that doesn't bring relieve, if you send me a document that exhibits the
problem, I can take a look. Send to problem(replace this stuff with the
at-sign)thetysons.org.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Does this happen in all documents, or just in one document?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Long Nguyen" Long wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Word 2002 and having a problem with the indent. In
Landscape
setting, the right indent is set at 9" on the ruler, but the text
stops
at
6", leaving 3" of blank space. In Portrait setting, the right indent
is
set
at 6", but the text stops at 5",leaving 1" of blank space. I tried
move
the right indent tab, but that still did not change anything.

Thanks in advance for help!

Herb Tyson [MVP]

problem(Shift+2)thetysons.org

(note: if I don't do my email address this way, it gets harvested for spam;
just replace the whole parenthetical, including parentheses, with the
at-sign)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Hi,

I received the document.

The problem is that your column width is set at 6". Every Word document has
column formatting—usually just one column. Since it's usually just a single
column and set to the same width as the document itself, it's not an issue.
In this case, however, even though your document has just one column, it was
somehow set at 6".

A quick solution for any given document is to "jiggle" the column
formatting. On the Standard toolbar, click the Columns tool and set the
number of columns to 2. Then set it back to 1. It should now be fixed for
that document.

To fix new documents, you need to either fix, replace or delete your
normal.dot file, where the setting is originating. The easiest solution
would be to find and rename normal.dot to something else (e.g.
normal-old.dot), or to delete it. It's in the location specified in Tools -
Options - File Locations - User Templates. Word automatically creates a new
normal.dot file, as needed. To delete/rename Normal.dot, Word must be
closed.

If you have customizations stored in normal.dot that you need to retain, the
solution is a little more complex, and requires the answers to a couple more
questions:

Are all new documents also landscape, or does the problem manifest only when
you convert from portrait to landscape?

If all new documents are landscape, is that on purpose (i.e., do you want
them to be), or do you want them to be portrait?

How we fix the problem depends on whether it includes the landscape facet
and whether you want all new documents to be formatted as landscape. If for
some reason you can't go with the renaming/deleting normal.dot solution, let
me know, and we can use a different approach.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

I'm glad the problem is solved!

It's amazing how much more quickly a problem gets solved when we can see a
graphic demonstration of the problem. Two minutes with a problem document is
worth days of back-and-forth messaging as the helper attempts to fully grasp
the circumstances. It'd be helpful if there were a moderated (and
virus-checked) location where problem documents could be uploaded to
facilitate quicker problem resolution. I'll have to suggest that.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Does this happen in all documents, or just in one document?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow
along.