Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beserk!

Default Mulitple decimal places in mailmerge

In Word 2003, the mailmerge seems to have got worse instead of better. When I
insert 'fields' the insert merge field window now has to be closed before I
can insert a new field... really irritating!
Also when I have merged data I frequently get huge decimal places. It
doesn't matter what I do to the orginal cells in the spreadsheet... mailmerge
didn't used to have these errors. I now put my spread sheet data into a table
on microsoft word and do my mailmerge from there!
Is there a patch or update available to sort out this prob?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Yes, it's a pain.

In Word 2003, the mailmerge seems to have got worse instead of better.
When I
insert 'fields' the insert merge field window now has to be closed before
can insert a new field... really irritating!

See Susan Barnhill's page at

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

Also when I have merged data I frequently get huge decimal places. It
doesn't matter what I do to the orginal cells in the spreadsheet...
mailmerge
didn't used to have these errors.

You can revert to the DDE method of connecting (check Word
Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open", reconnect, and choose
DDE when offered), or put field switches in your fields, e.g. use Alt-F9 to
display

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \*Mergeformat }

and change it to

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#0.00 \*Mergeformat }

(There's more info. on these switches in Word Help, or visit Graham Mayor's
page at

Peter Jamieson

"Beserk!" wrote in message
In Word 2003, the mailmerge seems to have got worse instead of better.
When I
insert 'fields' the insert merge field window now has to be closed before
can insert a new field... really irritating!
Also when I have merged data I frequently get huge decimal places. It
doesn't matter what I do to the orginal cells in the spreadsheet...
mailmerge
didn't used to have these errors. I now put my spread sheet data into a
table
on microsoft word and do my mailmerge from there!
Is there a patch or update available to sort out this prob?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Beserk!

Cheers Peter Dude!

Thanks for your simple 'switch' explanation, cos the stuff on the page you
directed me too was goobledegook.

I'm feeling slightly less...

Beserk.

Yes, it's a pain.

"Beserk!" wrote in message
In Word 2003, the mailmerge seems to have got worse instead of better.
When I
insert 'fields' the insert merge field window now has to be closed before
can insert a new field... really irritating!
Also when I have merged data I frequently get huge decimal places. It
doesn't matter what I do to the orginal cells in the spreadsheet...
mailmerge
didn't used to have these errors. I now put my spread sheet data into a
table
on microsoft word and do my mailmerge from there!
Is there a patch or update available to sort out this prob?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mrs G

Thank you Peter Jamieson!! I did go to Word help, but this does not tell you
to also insert the "0.00 \*mergeformat" portion of the switch. I will
definately share this with everyone.

Stacy Gregorio

Yes, it's a pain.

"Beserk!" wrote in message
In Word 2003, the mailmerge seems to have got worse instead of better.
When I
insert 'fields' the insert merge field window now has to be closed before
can insert a new field... really irritating!
Also when I have merged data I frequently get huge decimal places. It
doesn't matter what I do to the orginal cells in the spreadsheet...
mailmerge
didn't used to have these errors. I now put my spread sheet data into a
table
on microsoft word and do my mailmerge from there!
Is there a patch or update available to sort out this prob?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

FWIW, you don't usually need the \*Mergeformat part - in fact, I usually
delete it.

Peter Jamieson
"Mrs G" wrote in message
Thank you Peter Jamieson!! I did go to Word help, but this does not tell
you
to also insert the "0.00 \*mergeformat" portion of the switch. I will
definately share this with everyone.

Stacy Gregorio

Yes, it's a pain.