Joel

Default Continuing footnotes from previous section

I'm using Word 2003 and I have each chapter separated by section breaks. For
one chapter I have another section within it as I need one page to have be in
landscape whilst leaving the others in portrait format.

The problem arises in this chapter because the footnotes do not continue on
from the previous section. I attempt to start this section with the number
that it's supposed to continue with (e.g. 58) and choose continous. However
it simply adds this number to all previous footnotes in the enitre document
(116) and I get 174 instead of 58.

Is this a limitation of Word and section breaks?

Would appreaciate any feedback.

garfield-n-odie

In the Insert-Reference-Footnote menu, choose "Start at: 1",
"Numbering: Continuous", and "Apply changes to: Whole document".

Did you have Track Changes enabled when you changed the footnote
start number to 58? If yes, then you might need to accept all
tracked changes on the Reviewing toolbar, press Ctrl+A to select
the whole document, and press F9 to update all fields in the
document to get the correct footnote numbering.

Joel wrote:

I'm using Word 2003 and I have each chapter separated by section breaks. For
one chapter I have another section within it as I need one page to have be in
landscape whilst leaving the others in portrait format.

The problem arises in this chapter because the footnotes do not continue on
from the previous section. I attempt to start this section with the number
that it's supposed to continue with (e.g. 58) and choose continous. However
it simply adds this number to all previous footnotes in the enitre document
(116) and I get 174 instead of 58.

Is this a limitation of Word and section breaks?

Would appreaciate any feedback.

Joel

I see where you are getting at and this successfully changes all the
footnotes in the entire document. However the document contains several
chapters with each chapter separated into sections. And for each section we
want to be able to restart the footnote numbering at 1.

Our problem has been with this chapter we have had to insert another section
break in it to enable one page to be set out in landscape layout for a table.
Therefore the section that follows this table needs to continue on with the
footnote numbering sequence from the section before the table which ended at
57. At the moment we have had no luck and somehow I don't think the footnote
feature available is customisable enough to do this.

Thanks