Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chi Chi is offline

Default duplex printing - to line up headers

For duplex printing, I have a document that has 1 inch top margins to print
and then hole punch for a 3 ring binder. The issue is when I print duplex,
short-edge, my top margins line up for the whole punch but the pages are not
right-side up for viewing (instead pages are upside-down). When I print
duplex, long-edge, the pages are flipped up correctly for viewing (to the
left of binder) but the margin on the next page are not wide enough for the
hole punches.

I have a 1 inch margin on on the top and .5 inch margins on left, right, and
bottom of all pages. Document is landscape and there is a page border.
There is a gutter of 1" and mirror margins are on.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I gather from your description that this is a landscape document being bound
on the long edge. For this purpose, neither Mirror Margins nor a gutter is
helpful because both affect only the side margins, not Top and Bottom. To
solve this problem, you have to be devious.

Set the duplexing option so that your pages will be facing correctly. Set
both Top and Bottom margins to the amount you want on the outside (unbound)
edge. Then make changes in the header and footer as follows:

1. Enable the setting for "Different odd and even" headers and footers (File
| Page Setup | Layout).

2. In the Odd Page Header, add extra space below the header (with empty
paragraphs or, preferably, Space After the header paragraph) to push the top
margin down the desired amount.

3. In the Even Page Footer, similarly add space above the footer content to
push the bottom of the page up.

"Chi" wrote in message
For duplex printing, I have a document that has 1 inch top margins to
print
and then hole punch for a 3 ring binder. The issue is when I print
duplex,
short-edge, my top margins line up for the whole punch but the pages are
not
right-side up for viewing (instead pages are upside-down). When I print
duplex, long-edge, the pages are flipped up correctly for viewing (to the
left of binder) but the margin on the next page are not wide enough for
the
hole punches.

I have a 1 inch margin on on the top and .5 inch margins on left, right,
and
bottom of all pages. Document is landscape and there is a page border.
There is a gutter of 1" and mirror margins are on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chi Chi is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you. That did help with making space for hole punching at the top and
bottom but I had to take out the Page Border for this to work. I created a
very nice template but it is also very complicated.

I have to create several deliverables with mixed formats (portrait and
landscape in one document). I was trying to start simple by referring to one
layout. I added a nice Page Border that surrounds the header and footer which
seems to be causing a problem. Although the header/footer shifts to my
defined settings (from your instructions), the page border does not shift and
the header and footer seem to disappear on consecutive pages. I'm not sure
what to do at this point. I would like to keep the Page Border and have
headers/footers within the border. If I go by your instructions, everything
is fine except the Page Border. I guess the first issue was solved and now I
have to figure out the Page Border. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks
again.

"Chi" wrote in message
For duplex printing, I have a document that has 1 inch top margins to
print
and then hole punch for a 3 ring binder. The issue is when I print
duplex,
short-edge, my top margins line up for the whole punch but the pages are
not
right-side up for viewing (instead pages are upside-down). When I print
duplex, long-edge, the pages are flipped up correctly for viewing (to the
left of binder) but the margin on the next page are not wide enough for
the
hole punches.

I have a 1 inch margin on on the top and .5 inch margins on left, right,
and
bottom of all pages. Document is landscape and there is a page border.
There is a gutter of 1" and mirror margins are on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chi Chi is offline

My co-worker and I came up with a simpler solution. Because the page border
cannot shift between odd/even pages like the header/footer, I created a
rectangle image and put it into the header so it acts as a 'page border' and
will shift between from page to page using the odd/even functionality in the
header/footer. Thanks for your previous advice.

"Chi" wrote in message
For duplex printing, I have a document that has 1 inch top margins to
print
and then hole punch for a 3 ring binder. The issue is when I print
duplex,
short-edge, my top margins line up for the whole punch but the pages are
not
right-side up for viewing (instead pages are upside-down). When I print
duplex, long-edge, the pages are flipped up correctly for viewing (to the
left of binder) but the margin on the next page are not wide enough for
the
hole punches.

I have a 1 inch margin on on the top and .5 inch margins on left, right,
and
bottom of all pages. Document is landscape and there is a page border.
There is a gutter of 1" and mirror margins are on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think that's what I would have suggested. Page borders don't offer a lot
of flexibility, either in placement or in fine-tuning of the "Surround
header and footer" setting.

"Chi" wrote in message
[...]

Duplex Printing TK@EDA Microsoft Word Help 1 May 29th 08 10:13 AM
Please help with duplex printing Joe Microsoft Word Help 4 September 29th 07 06:25 AM
duplex printing Bryan Page Layout 6 February 17th 06 12:14 PM
Printing bookfold documents, manual duplex, only pg 7 is printing jjjones Microsoft Word Help 0 October 27th 05 12:58 AM
Duplex Printing Stalky Microsoft Word Help 2 February 5th 05 11:23 AM