Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Sean Bishop Sean Bishop is offline

Default Include section numbers in Table of Contents

I am using Word 2000

This is my first attempt a creating a document with Sections and a Table of
Contents.

I am writing up some instructions.
I have divided the document up into sections A,B,C etc. and each section
begins with a Level 1 Heading.
I am also using Level 2 & 3 Headings.

I can produce a Table of Contents but what I cannot do, or find anything in
the help files about, is show the Section letter in the Table of Contents
before the Level 1 Heading eg. it shows
Introduction................................1
I would like it to show
A. Introduction............................1

I have tried using the field setting "Section" in front of the Level1
Heading but this produces 'AIntroduction' , no full stop or space which looks
ugly. I cannot see or find any way to add text to the field setting.

Is there any way I can set up the Table of Contents to show the Section ?

Many thanks for your help.

Sean Bishop

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

It's not entirely clear how your Level 1 heads are formatted. If they
include A, B, C outline numbering, it should be picked up by the TOC. If
not, you can add numbering to the TOC 1 style itself; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings