Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
larryawc larryawc is offline

Default How do I restore word documents that converted back to 2003

Today my word documents that had been converted from 2003 to word 2007 went
back to 2003 and now I can not open them.
These are important docs and with out them I am lost.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word2007 has no trouble opening Word2003 documents. Maybe you're
saying that when you double-click on a document's name, Word doesn't
open? If that's the case, right-click on a document and choose "Open
With," choose WinWord, and check the box for "Always open this type of
document with this application" (or words to that effect).

On Dec 21, 1:31*pm, larryawc
wrote:
Today my word documents that had been converted from 2003 to word 2007 went
back to 2003 and now I can not open them.
These are important docs and with out them I am lost.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It seems as if something has happened to the file associations in Word. I'm
guessing you can still open the documents if you start Word first and use
the Open dialog box?

You can run Word 2007 with the /r switch to restore file associations.

Also, if you are running Word 2007 and Word 2003 on the same machine, see
the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP