LurfysMa

Default Table of Contents grabs the next line

Almost every time I insert a table of contents into a document, it
"grabs" the next line and makes it part of the table of contents.

If I turn on paragraph marks (Ctrl+*) and toggle the field setting
(Shift+F9), the line immediately following the TOC is inside the
paragraph mark.

If I insert the TOC between two headings, it will grab the second
heading and make it part of the TOC.

When I remember, I try to insert the TOC before a blank line. It grabs
the blank line so that I have an extra line after the TOC.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just another Word quirk?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
HT

From what you describe it seems like the heading and the first sentence are
using the same style. If this is so you may need to insert a hidden
paragraph mark and seperate the styles so that the TOC is only picking up
one style.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

NoSunHere

The table of contents grabs the heading style. Make sure that the only
places in the document using the heading style are places you want in your
table of contents. If other things are appearing there, make sure the style
is anything other than a heading style.

From what you describe it seems like the heading and the first sentence are

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com