Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dr. Darrell

Default ... my table of contents has a duplicate line ...

I have create a Table of Content and the first line in the table has been
duplicated. I can't figure out what has caused this. I have even deleted the
heading and repalced it and updated the table, and there is still a duplicate
of the first line.

Summary...............3
Summary...............3

Is there a setting that causes this? What can I do to avoid this?

Darrell
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Is there a manual page break in the heading paragraph? If so, delete
it and add "Page break before" formatting (via the Paragraph dialog
box, Line and Page Breaks tab) instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dr. Darrell" wrote:
I have create a Table of Content and the first line in the table has

been
duplicated. I can't figure out what has caused this. I have even

deleted the
heading and repalced it and updated the table, and there is still a

duplicate
of the first line.

Summary...............3
Summary...............3

Is there a setting that causes this? What can I do to avoid this?

Darrell

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dr. Darrell

Thank you, that did the trick.

I guess I'm a little confussed now. Why did I only have that one occurance?
Is there a rule of thumb for using this method of page breaks rather than the
mannual method?

Darrell

"Dr. Darrell" wrote:
I have create a Table of Content and the first line in the table has

been
duplicated. I can't figure out what has caused this. I have even

deleted the
heading and repalced it and updated the table, and there is still a

duplicate
of the first line.

Summary...............3
Summary...............3

Is there a setting that causes this? What can I do to avoid this?

Darrell

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

The root of the problem is that in Word, a manual page break will have
the style of the following paragraph. And if the paragraph at the
break has one or more spaces in it, it will be in the table of
contents, with the text of the following paragraph. (It is possible
that this bug is slightly different in different versions of Word.)

As a rule of thumb, always use "Page break before" formatting instead
of manual page breaks. It is flexible: you can add it manually, via
FormatParagraph, or you can add it to the style definition, if your
heading should always start on a new page.

Note, however, that there is no "paragraph level replacement" for
section breaks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP