LindaD

Default printing problem with envelopes

I recently put a new priner cartridge in my brother hl-1440 printer and
since the new cartridge went in, I can not print envelopes correctly or
labels correctly from Word 2000. The orientation is wrong on the envelopes
and labels, it is printing portrait orientation, even though it has landscape
in the print menu. I can print letters, faxes and everything else just fine.
It is as if my envelopes and labels want to print as 8x 10 letters.
Help
Linda

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGluZGFE?=,

I recently put a new priner cartridge in my brother hl-1440 printer and
since the new cartridge went in, I can not print envelopes correctly or
labels correctly from Word 2000. The orientation is wrong on the envelopes
and labels, it is printing portrait orientation, even though it has landscape
in the print menu. I can print letters, faxes and everything else just fine.
It is as if my envelopes and labels want to print as 8x 10 letters.

The better place to ask this would be the word.printing.fonts newsgroup. that's
where you'll find people who are familiar with printers and related problems.

My best guess would be that your printer driver has "gone bad", and that
replacing it with the newest one from the manufacturer's website might solve the
problem. Although why this would coincide with replacing a cartridge I can't
imagine...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Dr. Larry Doe

I have the same problem with an HP 7150 DeskJet using Word 2003 SP1. It has
something to do with custom envelope sizes.

If I choose a standard size (e.g. 6 or 10) and feed the envelope through the
envelope slot, everything is fine. If I feed the standard envelope through
the paper slot, this also works correctly.

When I set up a custom envelope (e.g. 8.5 x 5) and feed the envelope though
the paper slot, properly right aligned, the printer prints as though it was
printing to a full sized sheet of paper and not the envelope. The result is
that the return address is not printed on the envelope and the address is
almost 1 inch from the top of the envelope. The printer will not let me
place the envelope centered in the feeder, it has to be right aligned or the
paper out sensor fires.

I have seen this happen on other HP printers and have usually been able to
work around the problem by printing an adhesive label.

Bottom line is that I cannot use the printer to print directly to custom
sized envelopes

--
regards,
Larry

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?TGluZGFE?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

You can do it by setting up the envelope address on a Letter-sized document.
Adjust the margins to place the address where it needs to be to print on the
envelope.

"Dr. Larry Doe" wrote in message
[...]

or
reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Dr. Larry Doe

Sure,

But does that not completely defeat the reason for having envelope
templates?

It works on my trusty HP 4P; but not on the newer 7150.

It used to work for all printers, but I recall a change between Office 7 and
Office 8 in the way that the envelope templates work. That is when this
problem started.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
regards,
Larry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can do it by setting up the envelope address on a Letter-sized
document.
Adjust the margins to place the address where it needs to be to print on
the
envelope.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Some printers handle custom sizes better than others. If the printer allows
you to define new paper sizes (in the printer driver, not just in Word), you
may be able to work around this.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or
reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Dr. Larry Doe

I seem to recall something about reading a manual or at least looking at the
available options.

Problem solved.

Tools/Envelopes and Labels/Options/Printing Options

from here, select the way the envelope feeds; in the case of my 7150, it is
right, face down.

Other printers feed center or left, face up or down. Take your pick. Waste a
few envelopes or cut some paper stock to envelop size to test.

These changes become part of normal.dot and will apply to all envelopes,
standard sized or custom.

Occam's razor at its best.

Linda, I cannot imagine how changing your cartridge would change this
setting, but let's hope that this fixes you problem.