Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyS TonyS is offline

Default Can't create a numbered list in Word 2003

I have several documents containing list of songs divided into albums with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on "numbering" and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1 appears. The rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs inwards as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It seems as if the items that you are trying to number are all in one
paragraph. Press Ctrl+Shift+8 to show/hide nonprinting marks. If you see
arrows (line breaks) instead of ¶ (paragraph marks), delete them and insert
¶ instead by pressing Enter at the appropriate locations.

1. item one¶
2. item two
spanning two text lines¶

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TonyS" wrote in message
I have several documents containing list of songs divided into albums with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on "numbering" and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1 appears. The
rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs inwards as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyS TonyS is offline

Thanks Stefan. I did check that already and did what you suggest and you are
correct. Its such a big list I was wondering if there was any other way of
doing it?

"TonyS" wrote in message
I have several documents containing list of songs divided into albums with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on "numbering" and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1 appears. The
rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs inwards as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyS TonyS is offline

Thanks Suzanne. This looks exactly like what I am after. At the risk of
sounding stupid, is the ^ symbol the shift 6 key as I just tried it and it
didn't find any things to replace? (Each line has a CR symbol which I
obviously need to change to a paragraph symbol)

"TonyS" wrote in message
I have several documents containing list of songs divided into albums
with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on "numbering"
and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1 appears. The
rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs inwards
as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no
avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes the caret symbol is Shift + 6
Line feed characters may be either ^l (lower case l) which may also be
entered as ^011 (zero one one) or a type of paragraph ending ^013
Replace with ^p (or a space as appropriate)

"TonyS" wrote in message
I have several documents containing list of songs divided into
albums with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on
"numbering" and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1
appears. The rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs
inwards as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no
avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you missed the fact that that caret (Shift+6) is just part of the
code you need. For line breaks, the code is ^l (lowercase L), for paragraph
breaks ^p, for tabs ^t, and so on. You can get Word to insert these codes
for you by clicking More in the Find/Replace dialog and then clicking on
Special and choosing the relevant item.

http://word.mvps.org

"TonyS" wrote in message
I have several documents containing list of songs divided into albums
with,
typically 15 songs in each album.

On all except one document I select an album and click on
"numbering"
and
get a numbered list but on one document only the number 1 appears.
The
rest
of the items do not get numbered although all of the list tabs
inwards
as
though numbers sjould be there.

I Have tried clearing the formatting and then trying it but to no
avail:-(

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be causing this
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyS TonyS is offline

A big thanks to all of you :-) It worked and it's saved me hours of work.
Thanks again
Regards
Tony