Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

Default Document within a document ?

I wrote a novel which I plan to publish online as a Word document.

At the top of the document Id like to put the words:

Acknowledgements
Introduction
Prologue

and have each word be a link pointing to that particular sub-document, so
that when the reader clicks the word, he will be able to read the appropriate
sub-doc.

But heres the problem:

If I make the words actual links to other documents online, and if the
reader downloads just the manuscript.doc and then goes offline, and then
clicks the link, it will either not open, or it will call his browser to open
and then go online, and then open the document and everything will be
disjointed and confusing.

What Id like to do is create a link that will point to a €śsub-document€ť (if
you will) buried invisibly inside the manuscript itself.

Ive checked quite a bit and I think it is possible to simulate this using
macros and some fancy dancing with hidden text. But the average reader
downloading the manuscript will get tripped up with safety settings and
unauthenticated macros.

Is there any other way to link the word to some text that will only appear
when the link is clicked?

Thank you in advance

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Why not simplify life and include it in the document?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"grasshopper1947" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

Yes, your right, that would be the simplest way to handle it. And I suppose I
will ultimately do just that.

But I have downloaded and read quite a few books and I have found myself
disappointed after reading the acknowledgements and the other stuff authors
like to put in there before getting down to the meat of the story.

The funny thing is that since it's sitting there right in front of my eyes
in readable text, I feel compelled to read the first sentence or two. Then I
figure since I've gone this far I might as well read the rest. Then I finish
and feel like I wasted my time. Call it a compulsion, but if the text is
there in front of me I feel compelled to at least sample a sentence or two,
then I'm sucked in.

I figure that if a reader sees a link to that information, he might skip it
and plunge into the story. Then come back when he feels he has more time to
do something leasurely that might not be that profitable or satisfying.
That's certainly what I would do if given a choice.

(Sorry for the verbose answer . . . . . but I'm a writer. It's what I do . .
.. :-)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I understand. I have to admit that I usually skip over all those items
except perhaps the Introduction - which sometimes has significant backgroud
to the book.

My analogy would be, who sits through to the end of a movie reading all
those reams of names flashing past of the (movie) industry kissing its own
butt. Who the hell wants to know who carries the director's coffee and buns
or who changes the loo rolls. It's sufficiently torturous to have to endure
10 minutes or more at the start of a movie seeing who is presenting,
directing, producing, funding, etc., the movie without 15 additional minutes
at the end.

At least with a book, you have a choice in skipping what you don't want to
read. So I would just include it all. Just my opinion though.

Terry

"grasshopper1947" wrote in
message ...
[...]

.
. :-)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sometimes the most interesting bits are in the preface, though this
information is often placed at the end of the book (in which case I find it
and read it before the end). When I'm reading a historical novel, or one
that incorporates real (or apparently real) places, people, events, or
science, I'm always curious as to how much of it is authentic. From the
author's notes, cited sources, or acknowledgments, you can usually get some
clue as to that.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

. .
. :-)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

"sub-document"
(if
you will) buried invisibly inside the manuscript itself.

I've checked quite a bit and I think it is possible to simulate this
using
macros and some fancy dancing with hidden text. But the average reader
downloading the manuscript will get tripped up with safety settings
and
unauthenticated macros.

Is there any other way to link the word to some text that will only
appear
when the link is clicked?

Thank you in advance

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I agree with that too. I have just read Conn Igulden's Emperor series and
Conqueror series. http://www.conniggulden.com/?page_id=26 Conn includes a
wealth of historical facts at the end of each book making it clear where
dates, locations and people are real and where parts are just fiction to
liven up the reading. The history is almost as interesting as the books.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Sometimes the most interesting bits are in the preface, though this
information is often placed at the end of the book (in which case I find
it and read it before the end). When I'm reading a historical novel, or
one that incorporates real (or apparently real) places, people, events, or
science, I'm always curious as to how much of it is authentic. From the
author's notes, cited sources, or acknowledgments, you can usually get
some clue as to that.

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman Brian Mailman is offline

I do, because sometimes I want to see the music credits or listen to the
closing music, and sometimes they have outtakes or an "extra" that
I'd've missed if I didn't sit through that. See the "The Curse of the
Black Pearl" for a prime example of the latter. I also move somewhat
slowly and I don't like trying to get through the crowds to the exit.

B/

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

OK. I go along with music credits (that can be important) and possibly
outtakes if they are entertaining - but do you really want to know who is
the Best Boy or the Key Grip? Most cinema-goers have no idea what they do,
not do they care.

Have you ever thought why they show all those credits before showing the
outtakes, a preview of the sequel or occasionally the real ending? Well it's
because the movie industry is seriously stuck up its own ass.

What happened to good old fashioned

THE END

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I have to say, though, that I often feel seriously frustrated when I watch
an old movie with NO credits at the end because all the credits were at the
beginning. After I've seen the movie and want to know who the actors were
(because I missed the opening credits or wasn't paying attention), I have to
resort to IMDb (often I have to, anyway, because the end titles are squashed
or too small to be readable).

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While I personally have no interest in who the producer's driver was or who
any number of sundry other people are, I am sure that those in the industry
are interested and being at the end if you don't want to watch them you
don't have to. What I personally find infuriating is TV companies who split
the screen to put trails over the start of the credits so that the all
important cast listing is impossible to read, with voice-overs to destroy
the music. And don't even get me started on the subject of TV channel logos
that seem to occupy a large portion of the screen. I know which channel I am
on because I selected it! I don't need a constant reminder. Grrrrr! And do
deaf people really find that tiny figure signing in the corner of the
screen - so small that you have to concentrate on it, but so large that it
is distracting - more helpful than sub-titles?

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Me too for most of that. I hate previews of TV programs. If I am watching an
episode of something that stops leaving the viewers in suspense, I don't
want to see what is going to happen in the next episode until next week.
Even more annoying is - as you note Graham - squashing up to half the screen
of the end credits just to show a preview of the next program. For heaven's
sake, just tell me, I can wait. I don't need to see a preview of the News
headlines immediately before the News. TV has got to stop employing morons
that are dumbing down life and get some real program planners in.

And talking about 'logos', I've noticed that the new trend of showing a
preview of what is coming on next for ANOTHER channel complete with their
logo: this is confusing the hell out of many people. The number of times
I've watched say BBC1 and at the end of a program they have advertised
what's on next on BBC2 and my wife has prompted me, 'Well aren't you going
to switch over to BBC1 for the News'?

Terry

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
While I personally have no interest in who the producer's driver was or
who any number of sundry other people are, I am sure that those in the
industry are interested and being at the end if you don't want to watch
them you don't have to. What I personally find infuriating is TV companies
who split the screen to put trails over the start of the credits so that
the all important cast listing is impossible to read, with voice-overs to
destroy the music. And don't even get me started on the subject of TV
channel logos that seem to occupy a large portion of the screen. I know
which channel I am on because I selected it! I don't need a constant
reminder. Grrrrr! And do deaf people really find that tiny figure signing
in the corner of the screen - so small that you have to concentrate on it,
but so large that it is distracting - more helpful than sub-titles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It gets worse. I am currently watching the first series of Dexter (brilliant
by the way) from an internet source, and that has ribbons across the bottom
of the screen advertising the next program popping up every few minutes and
the third series has a damned great logo bottom right pointing out that the
image is in HDTV - even though I am not watching it on an HD TV. And here in
Cyprus the local TV companies frequently use a news ticker across the top of
the screen and break off the broadcast program to a trail for another
program without any regard for the action on screen (mid sentence is common)
and without any dividing marker, so you can often be left wondering whether
the new scene is part of the film you are watching of something else. Given
the numbers of students taking media studies, you would expect that at least
some of them might actually have learned something - but apparently not

Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'll second all of those complaints. I suppose it isn't necessary to note
that we've wandered pretty far off-topic here?

http://word.mvps.org

Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I download several TV progs from the Internet (House, Heroes, Dexter from
http://eztv.it/index.php) and get really annoyed by the logos. But on the
good side is the Ads have been removed - which is more than sufficient
compensation.

I think we are off topic now!