Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Default change default template

I seem to be having the opposiste problem of other posts: I DON'T want
normal.dot to open when I start a new document. I created a customized
template, but right now, whenever I open a new document, I have to manually
choose my template. How do I set my template as the default so that all new
docs are created from this?

thanks
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Two approaches:

1. Create a dedicated shortcut that tells Word to use the desired template
instead of normal.dot. You do this by including the /t switch in the
shortcut's Target field. You need to include the whole location of the
template. For example, suppose I want each new document to be based on
C:\Users\Herb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\ Analysis Plan.dot. My
Target line in the corresponding shortcut for starting Word would be:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE"
/t"C:\Users\Herb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Template s\Analysis Plan.dot"

Note that there is no space between /t and the beginning of the
specification for the template.

Note that Word will STILL open, however, because that's what Word does. And
if you press Ctrl+N in Word to create a new document, it will be based on
Normal.dot.

That brings me to the 2nd and more embracing approach:

2. Copy your customized template over Normal.dot.

There is nothing magical about Normal.dot. When/if Word starts and can't
find Normal.dot, it creates a new one from scratch. So, if after using
approach #2 you ever want to revert, just rename or delete you customized
version and Word will make a new one.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"jen_writer" wrote in message
I seem to be having the opposiste problem of other posts: I DON'T want
normal.dot to open when I start a new document. I created a customized
template, but right now, whenever I open a new document, I have to
manually
choose my template. How do I set my template as the default so that all
new
docs are created from this?

thanks
Jen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

While it may be a more embracing approach it's also the quickest way to lose
all of the built-in AutoText entries and rich text AutoCorrect entries. ;-)

The built-in AutoText and rich text AutoCorrect entries are stored in the
Normal template Word creates. Also, depending on the version, this can also
result in an empty list of AutoCorrect entries the first time the
AutoCorrect dialog box is displayed. In light of these, that's why it's best
to modify the Normal template Word creates instead.

Although if you don't care about the built-in AutoText and rich text
AutoCorrect entries or don't mind accessing the AutoCorrect dialog box
twice, if necessary, then creating your own Normal template may be the
perfect solution. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message

That brings me to the 2nd and more embracing approach:

2. Copy your customized template over Normal.dot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Given OP's stated desire to dump Normal.dot, I assume that loss of the
built-ins would be registered as a plus, not a minus. But, in the event
they're to be retained, then using a fresh Normal.dot as a starting point is
the way to keep them.