Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Default Find and replace

Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld "find"
line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exactly what are you doing, and what result are you getting instead of what
you expected?

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim" wrote in message
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld
"find"
line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the ¶ button (CTRL+*) to identify the character between the addresses -
which from your description is probably a space.
Replace with comma + space.

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld
"find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks but still not exactly sure what you mean. I have a long list of email
addresses in a row and am looking for the "special characters" in "find and
replace" to add commas after each email address. What is the symbol for
space?

I have tried find "manuel line break" "^l "and replace with comma and it
doesn't work.
The emails are listed in a row: see below example

judy @gmail.com

Thanks,

Jim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Use the ¶ button (CTRL+*) to identify the character between the addresses -
which from your description is probably a space.
Replace with comma + space.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld
"find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the items are each on a separate line then the line will be terminated
with a line break or more likely a paragraph break ^p or ^13
Displaying the formatting characters will indicate which.
or
Do a wildcard search for
[^11^13]
replace with
,
or
,^&

depending on whether you want to lose the line breaks or not.

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I
woullld "find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't
work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks but still can't figure it out. I did it a long time ago and have
forgotten the process.

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I
woullld "find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't
work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

CTRL+H
In the top box enter
[^11^13]
In the bottom box enter
,^&
or
,
Click 'More'
Check Use Wildcards.
Click replace all

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I
woullld "find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't
work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

thanks Graham but when I did that it input one comma at the very end of the
list that I have about 200 emails in. Just an FYI, I do start with the cursor
at the beginning of the list. Looks like we are close but not quite there.

Thanks for all your help,

Jim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

CTRL+H
In the top box enter
[^11^13]
In the bottom box enter
,^&
or
,
Click 'More'
Check Use Wildcards.
Click replace all

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I
woullld "find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't
work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Jim,

Since it's a 'row' of email addresses, one would expect each address to be separated by at least a space. In that case, you could
use Find/Replace to find every space character (ie ' ') and replace it by a comma followed by a space (ie ', '). If you end up with
multiple comma-space pairs between the email addresses, that means there were multiple spaces between the email addresses; simply
use Find/Replace to find every dual comma-space pair (ie ', , ') and replace it by a single comma-space pair (ie ', ').

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jim" wrote in message ...
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld "find"
line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes, start with the cursor at the top.
Send me a copy of the document and let's see what we are dealing with. You
can use the link on the home page of my web site.

Jim wrote:
thanks Graham but when I did that it input one comma at the very end
of the list that I have about 200 emails in. Just an FYI, I do start
with the cursor at the beginning of the list. Looks like we are close
but not quite there.

Thanks for all your help,

Jim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

CTRL+H
In the top box enter
[^11^13]
In the bottom box enter
,^&
or
,
Click 'More'
Check Use Wildcards.
Click replace all

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I
woullld "find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't
work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no symbol for a space; you just press the spacebar. But it is clear
from your example that you have some kind of break. If ^l (note that that is
a lowercase L) doesn't work and ^p doesn't work, then ^13 might.

http://word.mvps.org

Jim wrote:
Trying to add a comma to a row of email addresses. I thoght I woullld
"find" line break and "replace" with comma but doessn't work.

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks you guys but I tried everything and could not get it to do the task.
However, I did go to "textpad.com" and download thier free trial and it did
exactly what I needed.

Thanks anyway,

Jim