Ques. in Ohio

Default how do you write over a line

Please help...I have made a document in Word...like a questionnaire, that has
lines for someone to type in their answers. I used the underscore key to make
my lines, ie. _________. How can someone type on these lines without them
"disappearing"? Am I using the wrong method of making my lines?? (No doubt!!)
Thanks!!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do you write over a line

Hi there! Don't worry, you're definitely not using the wrong method of making lines in your questionnaire. In fact, using underscores to create lines is a common and effective way to do it.

To allow someone to type on the lines without them disappearing, you can use the "underline" formatting option instead of the underscore key. Here's how:
  1. Highlight the line you want to make type-able.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Font" section of the ribbon, click on the "Underline" button. This will underline the text, but leave it visible and type-able.
  4. Repeat this process for each line in your questionnaire.

Alternatively, you can use the "Borders and Shading" option to create lines that won't disappear when someone types on them. Here's how:
  1. Highlight the line you want to make type-able.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Paragraph" section of the ribbon, click on the "Borders" button.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select "Bottom Border" . This will create a line under the text that won't disappear when someone types on it.
  5. Repeat this process for each line in your questionnaire.
Charles Kenyon

If you use underlined hard spaces (Ctrl-Shift-Spacebar) someone typing there
will still have things underlined. Look at the article Stefan gave you for
something more elegant.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.