Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
G Reed G Reed is offline

Default View comments

I am using Office XP Word 2003. I have edited a document and added comments.
I can view all the changes, but the comments print in balloons to the right
and have a dotted line back to the left and all go to one central point.
How can I find each comment and attribute it to the point in the text that
it applies.... without hovering the mouse? If you do have to use the mouse
and hover, how do you avoid missing a comment?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

G Reed wrote:
I am using Office XP Word 2003. I have edited a document and added
comments. I can view all the changes, but the comments print in
balloons to the right and have a dotted line back to the left and all
go to one central point. How can I find each comment and attribute it
to the point in the text that it applies.... without hovering the
mouse? If you do have to use the mouse and hover, how do you avoid
missing a comment?

One way is to set the Browse button (the little circle between the up and
down double arrows at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar). Click that
button and choose to browse by comments. The double arrows (or Ctrl+PgUp and
Ctrl+PgDown keys) then move the cursor to the previous or next comment
location.

Another way: If the Reviewing toolbar isn't already displayed, click View
Toolbars Reviewing. At the far right end of the toolbar is a button that
toggles the display of the Reviewing Pane at the bottom of the Word window.
In that pane you'll find the text of all comments (and changes, if Track
Changes was enabled). Click the heading of any comment in the pane to jump
the cursor to the comment's location in the text. You can also use the Next
and Previous buttons on the Reviewing toolbar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
G Reed G Reed is offline

Thanks for the info. i tried both, didnt work, i must not have something
turned on correctly.
I do have the tracking on and I can see the comments.
when
I tried the browse function, clicking on either one of the double arrows
took me nowhere.
Tried the Reviewing pane. when I clicked on the comment heading, it took me
back to the balloon which just shows a line from the right margin back to the
left and all comment lines converge there.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

G Reed wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Try turning off the balloons. On the Reviewing toolbar, click the Show
button, then click Balloons, and choose Never. (When you do want to see the
balloons, use the same menu to turn them on again.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

G Reed wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
G Reed G Reed is offline

I appreciate your help, but I tried that and it just throws me back into the
comment box and doesnt show me the text that the comment refers to.
I am stuck!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

G Reed wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is it possible that all of the comments were inserted in exactly the same
place? That's one of two explanations I can think of that would cause the
behavior you're describing. The other explanation is document corruption.

In the Reviewing toolbar, choose Show - Reviewing pane. This should list the
comments -- by number -- in a separate pane. When you click on a comment in
the pane, the location in the document should change to where the comment
was inserted. Comments should be identified with your initials (e.g., GR)
and a number, such as GR1, GR2, and so on. Do you see distinct numbers in
your document? Make sure that the view is set to Final Showing Markup or
Original Showing Markup. Otherwise the comment numbers will be hidden from
view.

Does that happen?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Try turning off the balloons. On the Reviewing toolbar, click the Show
button, then click Balloons, and choose Never. (When you do want to see
the
balloons, use the same menu to turn them on again.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so