Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie G Connie G is offline

Default Mail merge data not showing on Mail Recipient List

I am trying to create a mail merge from Excel spreadsheet, and Mail recipient
list does not show data from several columns in mail recipient list, even
though the data is there. The list has think black lines instead of the
data. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks so much for your help,
Connie G
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The list has think black lines instead of the
data. How can I fix this problem?

Which version of Word/Excel?

Do you see the column headings in the Mail Recipients dialog?

What do the black lines look like? Do they run from side to side in each
cell, or do you mean that the vertical lines between the columns of data are
thicker than usual (not sure whether you meant "thin" or "thick" when you
said "think" :-) But in either case I haven't seen this before so am just
looking for clues).

What kind of data do you have in the affected columns? (or perhaps, the ones
before)?

As an immediate workaround, if you are using Word XP or 2003, check
Word|Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversions at open", then reconnect to
your data source and choose the DDE option when it is offered. It may not
make any difference but it is worth a try.

Peter Jamieson
"Connie G" Connie wrote in message
I am trying to create a mail merge from Excel spreadsheet, and Mail
recipient
list does not show data from several columns in mail recipient list, even
though the data is there. The list has think black lines instead of the
data. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks so much for your help,
Connie G

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie G Connie G is offline

Hi Peter,
From Word merge doc, I open the Mail Recipient List and all the column
headers show (there's about 20 columns), but data for columns B & C only is
missing - there is a thick (:) black line followed by dots where data should
be.

As a test, I copied and did a paste special into a blank spreadsheet, and
the merge works fine if there are no formulas; however, I'd prefer to fix the
problem and avoid this extra step, since there are already several steps
before getting to the merge itself. Columns B&C contain a VLookup formula,
but several other columns do as well, and they show up OK.

Thank you for your help in investigating this problem.
Connie G.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, can't look right now, but are the vlookup columns that fail returning
long texts (probably longer than around 255 characters?) or mixed field
types (some text, some numeric). If so, how about the vlookups that succeed?

Peter Jamieson

"Connie G" wrote in message
Hi Peter,
From Word merge doc, I open the Mail Recipient List and all the column

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie G Connie G is offline

Hi Peter - The problem columns, B and C, return names; the other vlookup
columns return numbers.
Thanks,
Connie

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

OK, can't look right now, but are the vlookup columns that fail returning
long texts (probably longer than around 255 characters?) or mixed field
types (some text, some numeric). If so, how about the vlookups that succeed?

Peter Jamieson

"Connie G" wrote in message
Hi Peter,
From Word merge doc, I open the Mail Recipient List and all the column

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Connie,

OK, so far I have been unable to make my VLOOKUPS fail, but my sample data
may be too simple. The info. that it is apparently only the text fields that
fail may well be significant but so far there is no difference here.

If you can replicate the problem using test data that you feel able to send
me, you are welcome to de-SPAM my e-mail address (remove "KillmapS") and
e-mail me your xls file(s) and a mail merge main document, and I will have a
look. Please let me know which version of Word/Excel you are using.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

OK, can't look right now, but are the vlookup columns that fail returning
long texts (probably longer than around 255 characters?) or mixed field
types (some text, some numeric). If so, how about the vlookups that
succeed?

Peter Jamieson

"Connie G" wrote in message
Hi Peter,