Helenaw Helenaw is offline
Junior Member

Default Section And Page No.s Word 2003

Hello

I have been following the instructions both on websites and also on Youtube videos. I have spent 5 hours on it today and got nowhere so I am getting desperate for help.

A lot of things went wrong and I am still struggling.

I have switched on the revealer and there is only ONE section break.

When I look at the headers and footers it shows clearly that the first 5 pages are Section One and then page six and all subsequent one are in section two. I broke the links.

When I insert page numbers into section 2, starting with the number 6, I put the cursor on page 6 and click insert page number start from page 6.But what Word does is numbers section one from page 6 to page 11. Section Two has no numbers.

I am at my wits' end, having wasted the best part of a whole day just trying to insert page numbers.

Can anyone help?

HelenaW

ETA.... it seems to be working now... while waiting for a reply I kept on fiddling, and found that the ONLY way to make it put page numbers from page 6 is to put the cursor on page 8 then insert page number . And no matter how many time I said "centre" it puts them on the right hand corner of every page. Still, the contents page has updating itself correctly (I think!)

Last edited by Helenaw : April 21st 13 at 07:49 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Using the Page Number dialog box isn't recommended. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontmatter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Helenaw" wrote in message

[...]

Helenaw Helenaw is offline
Junior Member

Wow that is a useful link, thank you!

I hate formatting a book in Word, but this time I have no choice, so I might be back next time I get stuck.

Cheers!

Helena