Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default How to change the default numbered list format

Somehow, the default format for numbered lists (the ones I get by
clicking on the numbered list icon) on my machine has gotten changed
so that they are aligned .25" and then indented .5".

I would like the numbers flush left (aligned 0.0") and the text
indented .25".

Every time I start a new document and click on the numbered list icon,
I get a list that is indented too much. I click on Format | Bullets
and Numbering... and fix it, which works for that document, but the
next time I start a new document, it's wrong again.

I tried editing normal.dot and changing the numbered lists and saving,
but it's still wrong.

It used to work. How can I get it back?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There is no way to set a default number format; the numbering button
will always give you the most recently chosen format. What you can do
is apply the List Number style and modify it to suit your needs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
Somehow, the default format for numbered lists (the ones I get by
clicking on the numbered list icon) on my machine has gotten changed
so that they are aligned .25" and then indented .5".

I would like the numbers flush left (aligned 0.0") and the text
indented .25".

Every time I start a new document and click on the numbered list

icon,
I get a list that is indented too much. I click on Format | Bullets
and Numbering... and fix it, which works for that document, but the
next time I start a new document, it's wrong again.

I tried editing normal.dot and changing the numbered lists and

saving,
but it's still wrong.

It used to work. How can I get it back?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:15:36 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

There is no way to set a default number format; the numbering button
will always give you the most recently chosen format. What you can do
is apply the List Number style and modify it to suit your needs.

Not sure what you mean.

1. If I click on Format | Bullets and Numbering and then change the
alighment and indent, the nmbered lists will be fine in that document.
But the next time I open a new document, they are wrong again.

2. I tried doing the above in Normal.dot and saving the template. No
joy.

3. I just tried editing the List Number style. I discovered that it
was already correct. (No indent.) But that style is not automatically
applied when I click on the numbered list button.

I want the Numbered List button (in new documents) to create a numbere
list with no indent. It used to do that. Something changed. I want to
change it back. How do I do that?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, you can Reset the style built-in formats in the Format | Bullets
and Numbering dialog box. That should make the numbering button behave
a little better.

But you will get more control if you apply the List Number style
directly to text, and forget about the numbering button. Or delete the
numbering button from the toolbar and replace it with a custom button
that applies the style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP