Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] miaojpm@gmail.com is offline

Default How could we let Word number the table/figures automatically?

Hi,

I am working on a document with figures and tables. I can number the tables/figures manually but I heard that there is a way to number them automatically such that when I insert a new figure/table, the whole number series (and the corresponding parts in table of contents ) could be updated. How could this be done?

Thanks,

Miao
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the table or figure and choose Caption from wherever it is in
your version of Word.

(You can also do it if you only have the captions and not the figures
themselves -- select the caption paragraph and choose Caption.)

On May 24, 1:32*am, wrote:
Hi,

* I am working on a document with figures and tables. I can number the tables/figures manually but I heard that there is a way to number them automatically such that when I insert a new figure/table, the whole number series (and the corresponding parts in table of contents ) could be updated. How could this be done?

* Thanks,

Miao

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To expand a bit on Peter's reply: In Word 2003, the command is Insert |
Reference | Caption; in Word 2007 and 2010, it is References tab | Insert
Caption.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On May 24, 1:32 am, wrote:
Hi,

I am working on a document with figures and tables. I can number the
tables/figures manually but I heard that there is a way to number them
automatically such that when I insert a new figure/table, the whole
number series (and the corresponding parts in table of contents ) could
be updated. How could this be done?

Thanks,

Miao

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Miao[_2_] Miao[_2_] is offline

On May 24, 1:32 am, wrote:

Hi,

I am working on a document with figures and tables. I can number the

tables/figures manually but I heard that there is a way to number them

automatically such that when I insert a new figure/table, the whole

number series (and the corresponding parts in table of contents ) could

be updated. How could this be done?

Thanks,

Miao

Thanks. By default, the size of the caption is 12. The ideal caption size in my mind is 14, which is the size of the texts in my article. Could I set it automatically or should I need to change the size manually whenever a new caption is set?

Thanks

Miao
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

"Miao" wrote

By default, the size of the caption is 12.
The ideal caption size in my mind is 14,
which is the size of the texts in my article.
Could I set it automatically or should I need
to change the size manually whenever a new caption is set?

you have to modify the Caption style:
http://word.tips.net/T000623_Formatting_Captions.html

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 24, 1:32 am, wrote:

Hi,

* I am working on a document with figures and tables. I can number the
tables/figures manually but I heard that there is a way to number them
automatically such that when I insert a new figure/table, the whole
number series (and the corresponding parts in table of contents ) could
be updated. How could this be done?

* Thanks,

Miao

Thanks. By default, the size of the caption is 12. The ideal caption size in my mind is 14, which is the size of the texts in my article. Could I set it automatically or should I need to change the size manually whenever a new caption is set?

Thanks

Miao

Usually the captions are in a smaller size than the text. If the
captions are the same size as the text, the reader might not notice
the break between a caption and the text below it.