Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Easy way to select pasted EMF in Drawing Canvas containing text box

I clicked on Text Box on Drawing Toolbar to create a Drawing Canvas
with a Text Box inside of it. I paste a table into the text box, then
paste an Enhanced Metafile (EMF) from Powerpoint right on top of the
table. I used EMF to copy and paste a Text Box from Powerpoint
because I needed the text to be at approximately 30 degrees from
horizontal. Word doesn't seem to rotate text within Text Boxes drawn
from Word, even though the Text Box itself rotates. Ditto for text
associated with other AutoShapes drawn from word e.g. rectangles with
rounded corners.

The problem is that it's hard to select the EMF thing (object?) for
dragging, even if I click right on it. I always end up either
selecting the Text Box with the table in it, or placing the insertion
point in the table. This is true even if the Text Box containing the
table is arranged *behind* the EMF object. Eventually, I found that I
could drag out a selection region that includes the EMF object and
excludes the Text Box containing the table. This seems like a very
unintuitive way, and there will certainly be some arrangements of
objects within a Drawing Canvas that will make it hard to do. Is
there a better (i.e. easier) way to do something as simple as
selecting the EMF when it lies on top of a Text Box?