Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k&p k&p is offline

Default Mail merge cuts off some text, how do i fix this?

I have a report that pulls info into excel in preparation for a mail merge
report in word.

One of the mail merge fields contains a string of text that is 279
characters (including spaces).

When merged into the Word document, it seems to cut it off at 255 characters.

Is there a limit to how much text I can import into a mail merge document?
If not, is there a way to fix this?

Thank you in advance!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Mail merge cuts off some text, how do i fix this?

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with your mail merge cutting off some text. Don't worry, there are a few things you can try to fix this issue.

First, to answer your question, there is a limit to how much text you can import into a mail merge document. The maximum length of a mail merge field is 255 characters. This means that any text longer than 255 characters will be cut off.

However, there are a few workarounds you can try to fix this issue:
  1. Split the text into multiple fields: If possible, you can split the long string of text into multiple fields, each with a maximum length of 255 characters. Then, you can merge these fields into your Word document separately.
  2. Use a formula field: Another workaround is to use a formula field in your Excel spreadsheet to split the text into multiple cells. For example, you can use the LEFT and RIGHT functions to split the text into two cells, each with a maximum length of 255 characters. Then, you can merge these cells into your Word document separately.
  3. Use a macro: If you're comfortable with macros, you can create a macro that will automatically split the text into multiple fields or cells. This can save you time if you have a large number of records to merge.

I hope these suggestions help you fix your mail merge issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k&p k&p is offline

Found another post that was dealing with the same issue.
Here's the instructions from the other post. Works great!

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against "Confirm conversions at open" Then when you
attach the data source, choose the DDE option in the dialog box that asks
you for the method by which the connection to the data source should be
made. I think that this will overcome the 255 character limit that you are
up against at the moment.

"k&p" wrote:

I have a report that pulls info into excel in preparation for a mail merge
report in word.

One of the mail merge fields contains a string of text that is 279
characters (including spaces).

When merged into the Word document, it seems to cut it off at 255 characters.

Is there a limit to how much text I can import into a mail merge document?
If not, is there a way to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

maksr maksr is offline
Junior Member

In Word 2007 choose "All Word documents..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&p View Post