Printing Selected Pages from a Document Containing Multiple Page Numbering Schemes

Old January 13th 05, 12:19 AM
Don

Default Printing Selected Pages from a Document Containing Multiple Page Numbering Schemes

We have a couple of large documents formatted with roman numeral numbering
(starting at 'i' for the title page), then the body of the document starting
at page 1 (MS Word 2003). When trying to print ranges, we never seem to get
consistent results. For example, when selecting pages i-iii to print, the
title page and table of contents print as would be expected. But when pages
1-3 are selected to print, instead of getting body pages 1 through 3, we get
pages i through iii.

I am obviously using the wrong search terms as I have not been able to find
a solution in the Word help or Googling.

Anyone willing to throw me a bone!

Thanks!

Don

Old January 13th 05, 01:27 AM
Daiya Mitchell

The Help term is something like "print specific pages and sections." Since
you have section breaks in the doc, you have to tell Word both the section
and page numbers. E.g., "s1" would print out pps. i-iii.

From Help:
A range of pages within a section
Type p page number s section number.
For example, to print pages 5 through 7 in section 3, type p5s3-p7s3

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Old January 13th 05, 01:55 AM
Don

Daiya,

Well, I tried using the search string you suggested, and could not find the
details you provided. However, the explanation you provided is _gold_!

Thanks!!

Don

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
The Help term is something like "print specific pages and sections."

Since
you have section breaks in the doc, you have to tell Word both the section
and page numbers. E.g., "s1" would print out pps. i-iii.

From Help:

On 1/12/05 3:19 PM, "Don" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Old January 13th 05, 02:03 AM
Daiya Mitchell

Hi Don,
Glad to help. I double-checked, and that is the Help topic, but Help does
glitch sometimes, plus I'm on a Mac, so it may be worded differently. You
make me glad I bothered to paste the info from Help.

Daiya

On 1/12/05 4:55 PM, "Don" wrote:

Daiya,

Well, I tried using the search string you suggested, and could not find the
details you provided. However, the explanation you provided is _gold_!

Thanks!!

Don

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
The Help term is something like "print specific pages and sections."

Since
you have section breaks in the doc, you have to tell Word both the section
and page numbers. E.g., "s1" would print out pps. i-iii.

From Help:

Old January 13th 05, 02:23 AM
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:19:52 -0500, "Don"
wrote:

We have a couple of large documents formatted with roman numeral numbering
(starting at 'i' for the title page), then the body of the document starting
at page 1 (MS Word 2003). When trying to print ranges, we never seem to get
consistent results. For example, when selecting pages i-iii to print, the
title page and table of contents print as would be expected. But when pages
1-3 are selected to print, instead of getting body pages 1 through 3, we get
pages i through iii.

I am obviously using the wrong search terms as I have not been able to find
a solution in the Word help or Googling.

Anyone willing to throw me a bone!

Thanks!

Don

Hi Don,

You need to fill in the Pages box with an entry like p1s2-p3s2 to tell
it to look in section 2.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...leSections.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old January 13th 05, 05:27 AM

"Print specific pages and sections" is in the Help topic "Print a document"
(which is *not* the first hit you get when you search for "print a
document"). See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...leSections.htm

On 1/12/05 4:55 PM, "Don" wrote:

Daiya,

Well, I tried using the search string you suggested, and could not find

the
details you provided. However, the explanation you provided is _gold_!

Thanks!!

Don

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
The Help term is something like "print specific pages and sections."

Since
you have section breaks in the doc, you have to tell Word both the

section
and page numbers. E.g., "s1" would print out pps. i-iii.

From Help:

Old January 14th 05, 04:07 AM
Don

Suzanne,

Well, based on your guidance, I finally found it. Talk about buried!

Thanks!

Don

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
.. .
"Print specific pages and sections" is in the Help topic "Print a

document"
(which is *not* the first hit you get when you search for "print a
document"). See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...leSections.htm

so
all may benefit.

On 1/12/05 4:55 PM, "Don" wrote:

Daiya,

Well, I tried using the search string you suggested, and could not

find
the
details you provided. However, the explanation you provided is

_gold_!

Thanks!!

Don

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
The Help term is something like "print specific pages and sections."
Since
you have section breaks in the doc, you have to tell Word both the

section
and page numbers. E.g., "s1" would print out pps. i-iii.

From Help: