Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
reuven1925 reuven1925 is offline

Default Word 2000 Split sentences

I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader using the
"read" facility?
Reuven
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"reuven1925" wrote in message
I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader using the
"read" facility?
Reuven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
reuven1925 reuven1925 is offline

Thank you, your link was very informative,and I see there is a paragraph sign
^ at the end of every half sentence, but I cannot reformat to get rid of
these paragraph breaks.
reuven

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"reuven1925" wrote in message
I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader using the
"read" facility?
Reuven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
reuven1925 reuven1925 is offline

Yes,I did as you said ,without any response. But experimenting,On the
"replace' I pressed the delete key, which of course deleted all the paragraph
divisions leaving a continuous document with all the punctuation retained but
without any paragraphs. But tell me how is it possible with what formating
command to introduce all these unwanted paragraphs resulting in split
sentences? I have tried with a document, and it only possible if you
introduce these paragraphs deliberately by hand, or by making a macro.
reuven

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"reuven1925" wrote in message
I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then
pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader using
the
"read" facility?
Reuven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds as if you may have had a space in your "Replace with" box, though
replacing the paragraph mark with a space should accomplish much the same
thing.

A document that is created as "text" will have a paragraph break at the end
of each line.

news

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"reuven1925" wrote in message
I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then
pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader
using
the
"read" facility?
Reuven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
reuven1925 reuven1925 is offline

There is not a paragraph break at the end pf each line but a paragraph break
in the line. All I want to do is to get rid of the unwanted paragraphs but
leave the document with the normal paragraphs. Is it possible or not.? All I
know is when the document is downloaded onto the browser it is as it should
be , but when I copy and paste to Word2000, the lines are split.
reuven

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CleanWebText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"reuven1925" wrote in message
I have downloaded documents from Gutenberg onto my browser, and then
pasted
them onto Word 2000. Then the sentences are split as this:-
---------------------------------
---------------
---------------------------------
---------------
How can I correct this, as I need to convert to Microsoft Reader
using
the
"read" facility?
Reuven

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Malcolm Patterson Malcolm Patterson is offline

In cases where each line ends with a paragraph mark, there are usually two
paragraph marks between "real" paragraphs of text. This should never be
tolerated in Word because it defeats important features of the paragraph
style, including widow and orphan control.

If so, the solution is to follow the following sequence:

1. Find "^p" (no quotation marks in the box, and the letter must be lowercase)
replace with "^l" (caret, then lower case "L")

2. Find "^l^l" and replace it with "^p"

3. Find "^l" and replace with a space

4. Find "SpaceSpace" and replace it with "space"

This will leave a single paragraph mark at the end of each block of text.

If, on the other hand, paragraphs have no extra space between them, they are
usually indented by a Tab or (shudder) multiple spaces. Indention in Word
(mislabeled "Indentation" to the horror of professional editors) should be
handled in the paragraph style.

1. Find "^p" and replace with "^l"

2. Find "^t" and replace it with "^p^t"