Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Default BUG: Wd2007 Saving as web page with drawings- Horrible pixelation

When saving as Web Page (either Filtered or not- see P.S. below), Word 2007
mucks up drawings that contain text. This did not happen with Word 2003 (or
earlier for that matter). The text produced is horribly unreadable.

Screenshots:
Word 2003
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd02drawtext_sc1.png
Word 2007 (ugh!!!)
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07drawtext_sc1.png

Word 2007 is absolutely UNUSABLE for creating technical documentation
because of this. I hate this! Why destroy a perfectly working feature? Was
this release even QA'd?

P.S.
Saving as Web Page (not filtered) produces the same result... except you
wouldn't know it unless you used a browser other than IE! Before some "MVP"
suggests this option, check it out for yourself first.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What happens if you save as PNG?
What fonts are you using?
What happens if you save as PDF?
What kind of drawings are this (in other words, how did you make them)?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

What kind of drawings are this (in other words, how did you make them)?

These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just create a
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page (Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.

What happens if you save as PNG?

Haven't changed the "Allow save as PNG" option. I shouldn't have to.

What fonts are you using?

I tried Times New Roman, Arial, and even Calibri. All same horrible result.

What happens if you save as PDF?

Don't know. That's not what I'm trying to do.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or
inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just create a
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page (Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.

Sorry, I don't repro this. I made a text box, added some text and saved
it as webpage and webpage filtered. Then I looked at the page in
Firefox. It looks perfectly fine.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or

inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just create
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page
(Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.

Sorry, I don't repro this. I made a text box, added some text and saved it
as webpage and webpage filtered. Then I looked at the page in Firefox. It
looks perfectly fine.

What do you mean by "It looks perfectly fine?" Can you post a screen shot or
at least the resulting GIF that Word creates of the textbox (it's put in
xxxx_files subfolder).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Aha!... you didn't change the textbox to be inline with text (right-click
Format Textbox). I just discovered if I leave the textbox as a floating
textbox, the problem doesn't manifest itself.

However, it does manifest itself with floating Callouts.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com
"C. Moya" wrote in message
"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or

inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just create
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page
(Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.

Sorry, I don't repro this. I made a text box, added some text and saved
it as webpage and webpage filtered. Then I looked at the page in Firefox.
It looks perfectly fine.

What do you mean by "It looks perfectly fine?" Can you post a screen shot
or at least the resulting GIF that Word creates of the textbox (it's put
in xxxx_files subfolder).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

And here's an example. http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.htm
Change your textbox to be inline or otherwise use a callout and tell me now
you can't repro.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"C. Moya" wrote in message
"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or
inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just
create a
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page
(Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.
Sorry, I don't repro this. I made a text box, added some text and saved
it as webpage and webpage filtered. Then I looked at the page in
Firefox. It looks perfectly fine.

What do you mean by "It looks perfectly fine?" Can you post a screen shot
or at least the resulting GIF that Word creates of the textbox (it's put
in xxxx_files subfolder).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

I repro it now. It seems to be a general bug in the image creation
algorithm. The PDF algorithm, which is different from the image one,
creates the textbox just fine.
Thanks for catching that! I'll send it over to MS and see what they say.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"C. Moya" wrote in message
"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
These are Word textboxes... either when placed in a Drawing Canvas or
inline
with text... it doesn't matter. It's also easy to reproduce. Just
create a
new document, Insert, Text Box. Type some text. Save As Web Page
(Filtered)
(see P.S. in original post). Word 2003 (and prior AFAIK) saves them
beautifully... Word 2007 destroys them.
Sorry, I don't repro this. I made a text box, added some text and saved
it as webpage and webpage filtered. Then I looked at the page in
Firefox. It looks perfectly fine.

What do you mean by "It looks perfectly fine?" Can you post a screen shot
or at least the resulting GIF that Word creates of the textbox (it's put
in xxxx_files subfolder).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Hope its fixed ASAP. This is kind of a showstopper for us.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out with me.

P.S.
I also think it's kinda odd that an inline textbox gets converted into a
picture, while a floating one gets converted into a table (or div or
whatever). I dunno...

Anyway, regardless of anything, all the contents of a Drawing Canvas as well
as Autoshape Callouts get converted into a pictures... so the problem
manifests itself in them too. It's a big problem!

--

:

"C. Moya" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Hope its fixed ASAP. This is kind of a showstopper for us.
Not sure how fast it will be fixed...It could be a while.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out with me.

No problem. Thanks for the repro steps!

Anyway, regardless of anything, all the contents of a Drawing Canvas as well
as Autoshape Callouts get converted into a pictures... so the problem
manifests itself in them too. It's a big problem!

As workarounds for the time being: Any chance you can use PDF instead?
Or designate one computer with 2003 as the one from which the files are
saved as web sites?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"C. Moya" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi C.,

The link you posted was to a filtered version of the file.
Can you post or link to the .doc/.docx and the unfiltered .htm file?

==============
"C. Moya" wrote in message ...
And here's an example. http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.htm
Change your textbox to be inline or otherwise use a callout and tell me now
you can't repro.

--
-C. Moya
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Here you go:
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.docx
I posted the htm because that's when the problem is manifested. It's also
easily reproducable using the steps I described. Create an *inline* textbox
or any type of callout. Save as Web Page (Filtered) or Web Page (not
Filtered... BUT use non-IE browser to view).

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"C. Moya" wrote in message
And here's an example. http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.htm
Change your textbox to be inline or otherwise use a callout and tell me
now
you can't repro.

--
-C. Moya
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

And the .doc for good measure.
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.doc
(is there some bug with downloading docx... seems IE wants to save them as
..zip-- weird. Another bug?).
Here you go:
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.docx
I posted the htm because that's when the problem is manifested. It's also
easily reproducable using the steps I described. Create an *inline*
textbox or any type of callout. Save as Web Page (Filtered) or Web Page
(not Filtered... BUT use non-IE browser to view).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Nope. Docx files are zip files.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

And the .doc for good measure.
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.doc
(is there some bug with downloading docx... seems IE wants to save them as
.zip-- weird. Another bug?).
Here you go:
http://www.cflashsoft.com/temp/wd07callouts.docx
I posted the htm because that's when the problem is manifested. It's also
easily reproducable using the steps I described. Create an *inline*
textbox or any type of callout. Save as Web Page (Filtered) or Web Page
(not Filtered... BUT use non-IE browser to view).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
Nope. Docx files are zip files.

But, does IE6 need to append the .zip extension to it when downloading? It
seems to insist on doing it.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

I think this might be related to the server. Is it IIS? If yes, the MIME
types are probably not set up correctly for the new file extensions.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***

: