Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook How to enter @ symbol in Outlook is offline

Default I cannot enter this symbol @ in Microsoft Outlook. Why?

I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @ in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text field). How do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

What happens when you try?

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @ in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text field). How

do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce it?

om wrote in message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @ in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text field).

How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

I usually create the @symbol with Ctrl+Alt+2, tried also Shift+2 or Ctrl+2,
nothing happens. the @ is on the no. 2 button.

om wrote in message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @ in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text field).

How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't imagine why you would use Ctrl+Alt+2 when the @ is a shifted 2.
Occasionally users will inadvertently enable a different keyboard and get an
apostrophe in place of @ and vice versa, but that doesn't seem to be the
issue here. Can you type a 2? If not, it may be a keyboard issue. How are
you producing @ in these messages? Does the problem occur only in Word? If
so, go to the Customize Keyboard dialog, select a command at random, and
enter Shift+2 as the keyboard shortcut. Then look to see what "Currently
assigned to" gives as the current assignment. You can then go to that
command (whatever it is) and unassign it.

om wrote in message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @

in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text

field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

Hi Suzanne
In the meantime I have also contacted Logitech, the company whose keyboard I
have. I did a test with them and they say it is clearly a problem that is
connected with Microsoft only (the @symbol works in all the other
applications) and that I need Microsoft's assistance to solve it. So it
cannot be a keyboard issue.
Please continue to help me! Thanks!!

om wrote in message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the symbol @

in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text

field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you check on the shortcut key assignment for Shift+2 as suggested?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"How to enter @ symbol in Outlook"
om wrote in

message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the

symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text

field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

I don't manage to find the way to do that on my PC. Could you guide me
through it step by step? I work on Windows XP. Thank you very much!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"How to enter @ symbol in Outlook"
om wrote in

message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the

symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As stated before, go to the Customize Keyboard dialog (Tools | Customize:
Keyboard), select a command at random, and enter Shift+2 as the keyboard
shortcut. Then look to see what "Currently assigned to" gives as the current
assignment. You can then go to that command (whatever it is) and unassign
it.

Note, however, that these instructions are for Word. If the problem occurs
only in Outlook (as earlier posts seem to indicate), then you should be
posting in an Outlook newsgroup rather than here.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"How to enter @ symbol in Outlook"
om wrote in

message
Hi, nothing happens then, it stays blank.
What shall I try or check?
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the

symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the

text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

I have the problem in Word AND Outlook. I manage to get to the Microsoft
Office Tools menu, but then there is no option Customize: Keyboard. I
searched for it on the entire PC, cannot find it.
My feeling tells me that my problem might be connected to the regional
language settings as you mentioned that you would press different buttons for
the @ symbol in the US, right? But if I change the default language setting
to German, I get a warning that I might lose certain customized applications.
Do you have any idea about that? Thanks!

wrote in message
I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type the
symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in the

text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word, the Tools menu is on the Menu Bar. On that menu, choose Customize.
In the Customize dialog, click the button for Keyboard...

This would affect Outlook only if you're using Word as your email editor in

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce it?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"How to enter @ symbol in Outlook"
om wrote

in
message

wrote in message

I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type

the
symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in

the
text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

It is getting more mysterious...
Went into the customize keyboard menu, but could not find a command at
random, but entered Ctrl+Alt+2 in "current keys" and then also in "Press new
shortcut key". After that suddenly I could type @ in Outlook again, BUT still
not in Word. This is really confusing...

wrote in message

I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot type

the
symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address + in

the
text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm beginning to think that English is not your native language. When I
said, "select a command at random," I meant "select any command; it doesn't
matter which one." That's like saying, "Press any key." And what you should
be looking for is Shift+2, which is the usual way of typing @. There is *no*
reason to assign Ctrl+Alt+2 to this symbol.

But here's another approach: In the Insert | Symbol dialog, select @. Does
Word indicate a shortcut key? (It should not.)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What keys are you pressing on the keyboard to produce

it?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"How to enter @ symbol in Outlook"
om

wrote
in
message

wrote in message

I had to reformat the PC and since then I cannot

type
the
symbol @
in
Microsoft Outlook any more (in the email address +

in
the
text
field).
How
do
I find it/adjust this?

It works fine in Word etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] How to enter @ symbol in Outlook[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, for all the advice, very much appreciated it. I managed to
create a new shortcut key in the Insert - Symbol menu. It is working now!

Gisela (Swiss German... ; ) )