Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ww3663 ww3663 is offline

Default How do I keep an application open while closing a document?

In previous Microsoft Office applications, I could close a particular
document by clicking on the X in the second line on top and still keep Word
open. How do I do that in Word 2007?.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:06:02 -0800, ww3663
wrote:

In previous Microsoft Office applications, I could close a particular
document by clicking on the X in the second line on top and still keep Word
open. How do I do that in Word 2007?.

Press Ctrl+W or Ctrl+F4, or use the Close command on the Office button
menu.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Yeah, this is a real PITA that purportedly is "unavoidable";-)

You basically have at least two options:

1- Use the Office Button's Close command, or

2- right-click the QAT & go into the Customize... Options, then select
Commands Not In The Ribbon from the Choose... List. Add either the
Close/Close All command or the Close Window command to the QAT.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/31/07 11:06 AM, in article
, "ww3663"
wrote:

In previous Microsoft Office applications, I could close a particular
document by clicking on the X in the second line on top and still keep Word
open. How do I do that in Word 2007?.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
2- right-click the QAT & go into the Customize... Options, then select
Commands Not In The Ribbon from the Choose... List. Add either the
Close/Close All command or the Close Window command to the QAT.

A bit of a quicker approach for the Close command would be to right-click
the Close command under the Office Button and then click "Add to Quick
Access Toolbar". :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Happy New Year to you too, Bob!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
I'm a Mac guy - I can't think of everything;-)

Happy New Year, Beth!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi TedMi is offline

Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.
Happy New Year!
--
TedMi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 31, 3:25*pm, tedmi wrote:
Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.

Can you do that in Word2003?

Happy New Year!
--
TedMi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ww3663 ww3663 is offline

I could not find the SDI/MDI options in Word Options Advanced.
Happy New Year to you also.

"tedmi" wrote:

Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.
Happy New Year!
--
TedMi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Yes, Word 2003 has the same setting in Tools Options View - Windows in
Taskbar, but for this issue it's irrelevant. In that version neither setting
causes you to lose the Close button (X) at the right end of the Menu bar
when only one doc is open, which is what happens in 2007.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/31/07 4:42 PM, in article
,
"grammatim" wrote:

On Dec 31, 3:25*pm, tedmi wrote:
Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.

Can you do that in Word2003?

Happy New Year!
--
TedMi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yabbut I'd like it to look like Word Mac 2000, where all the document
windows appear to be in a single Word window. (There's a note about
this difference in the opening pages of my giant aftermarket Word
manual.)

"grammatim" wrote:
On Dec 31, 3:25*pm, tedmi wrote:
Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.

Can you do that in Word2003?

Happy New Year!
--
TedMi- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, now I'm at a total loss as to what you are seeking because there was
no "Word Mac 2000". Current version for Mac is 2004; preceded by X; preceded
by 2001; preceded by 98. Word 2000 is a Windows version available as a
standalone and as a part of Office 2000.

I honestly don't recall how Word 2000 displayed the document windows & no
longer have an installation on which to refresh my [feeble] memory, but
perhaps clearing the check will get you close to what you want. I doubt it
will mimic exactly the 2000 behavior due to the major overhaul in 2002/2003
designed for the XP version of Windows.

The only other thing I can suggest - which still may not be what you want -
is to set your Windows Appearance/Theme property to Windows Classic Style...
Keeping in mind that doing so will affect the entire environment, not just
any one program.

Happy New Year |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/1/08 2:06 AM, in article
,

"grammatim" wrote:
On Dec 31, 3:25*pm, tedmi wrote:
Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want
is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.

Can you do that in Word2003?

Happy New Year!
--
TedMi- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All right, 2001.

"Mac" was obviously the operative term in the identification.

"Classic appearance" means nothing to me, since I had no contact with
Windows between 1992 and 2005. I did change the "Theme" from the blue
one to the silver one.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Dec 31, 3:25*pm, tedmi wrote:
Word 07 by default goes into "Single Document Interface" (SDI) mode, which
means that each doc gets opened in its own top-level window. What you want
is
the MDI mode, which can open and display multiple docs in one top-level
window. In that mode, you will get a Close icon on the second line, which
applies to the active doc only. To switch to MDI, go to Word Options,
Advanced, and change the setting for "All Windows in Task Bar" - my Off2007
installation is broken at the moment, so I can't give you specific chapter
and verse.

Can you do that in Word2003?

Happy New Year!
--
TedMi- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. :-) Happy New Year to you too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"ww3663" wrote in message
Thanks for your help, Beth. That answered my question. Hpy Nw Yr, Beth.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

I'm a Mac guy - I can't think of everything;-)

Happy New Year, Beth!

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac