Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default unnumbered footnote?

It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:07:40 -0800 (PST), grammatim
wrote:

It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

I think you're fighting a losing battle there, and it's time to cheat.

Put your "unnumbered footnote" in a textbox anchored in one of the first
paragraphs and drawn to the width of the text. Apply the Footnote Text style to
the text in the box. In the Format Text Box dialog, set No Line and No Fill; on
the Layout tab, click the Advanced button. Set the text wrapping to "Top and
bottom", and set the vertical position to Bottom relative to Margin. Uncheck
"Move object with text" and check "Lock anchor".

If there is a numbered footnote also on the first page, drag the text box upward
to clear the real footnote. Trying to put it below the footnote doesn't work
very well unless you also suppress the footer on the first page (in File Page
Setup Layout, check "Different first page").

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use a "custom" footnote. These are outside the numbering scheme for ordinary
footnotes. Usually you'd use this to create a footnote with an asterisk or
the like, and you can still do that (many articles actually use an asterisk
for the purpose), but if you don't want any reference mark at all, just use
an asterisk (or anything else) and format it as Hidden both in the text and
in the footnote.

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I really do learn something new every day. :-)

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It hasn't been that long ago that I learned you could intersperse "custom"
footnotes with numbered ones. It works well if you want to use numbered
footnotes to document sources and use asterisks and daggers for content
(another approach is to use endnotes for source documentation and footnotes
for substantive notes), or I suppose you could use them for tables (though I
prefer to do those manually and put them in the merged bottom row of the
table).

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I am incredulous.

For some philological applications, there need to be two sets of
footnotes on each page, perhaps numbered and lettered, or numbered and
asterisked, and they can't be interspersed but have to be in separate
clumps. The text box thing would probably have to be used for that.

As for table footnotes, I got used to having them in FrameMaker but in
Word I do them in a paragraph under the table (Keep With Next before
it), use Numbering on the style to label them a., b., etc., and then
do a cross reference from the text in the table title or table cell.

You think I could do custom footnotes there instead? Wouldn't they go
to the bottom of the page like regular footnotes?

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

do some MVPs top-post and others bottom-post?

wrote:

[...]

Clever! That's what I have to (had to) do in FrameMaker, because, for
all its general wonderfulness, never learned that a long footnote has
to be broken onto the next page (nor can it do endnotes -- it
recommends a workaround using numbering and cross references).

No, it goes above the first numbered footnote. But it also has to go
below the Footnote Separator line (if there is one), and I can see
that being problematic. (First page of an article usually has a
centered drop folio [page number], so the footer shouldn't be
suppressed.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, they would go at the bottom of the page. If you have full-page tables,
this would probably be okay, but, as I say, I make them part of the table
itself.

As for clumping the footnotes, you could fudge this using the workaround
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm
(putting the footnote reference where it needs to be in order to "clump" the
notes, making it hidden, and using a cross-reference to the footnote number
where you want it to show). I would foresee a lot of problems as documents
were repaginated, though.

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It depends a lot on what their newsreader does automatically. Outlook
Express automatically top-posts, and for this type of thread I usually find
that more satisfactory because I don't want to have to scroll all the way to
the bottom of the quoted material to find a reply that may be very short and
often looks like part of the quotation because it was typed in a quoted
blank line. But I like to keep the quoted material below for later
reference.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

FWIW, I prefer top-posting too. But sometimes, especially in (relatively)
long posts, I find it convenient to reply "in line," so that I can directly
answer the poster's questions and make comments on particular parts of the
text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you make your table footnotes a literally part of the table, you
have to use Merged Cells, and they tend to interact badly with columns
that might need to be resized (don't even think about moving columns
involved in a Merge!)
---
Yes, I can see how the procedure described in your article would work,
and that repagination would be a problem, though I wonder why anyone
would want to put page-wide footnotes under columns.

The other way -- putting two columns of footnotes under a single
column of text -- is very common with large- or broad-formatted books
(quarto or larger, say), and there doesn't seem to be any way at all
of doing that.

described inhttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FtnoteSpanColumns.htm

"grammatim" wrote in message

[...]

.. .

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It worked!!!

(Keyboard shortcut for Hidden text: Ctrl-Shift-H. I once printed out
the table of all the built-in keyboard shortcuts but don't know how I
found it.)

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I can see how the procedure described in your article would work,
and that repagination would be a problem, though I wonder why anyone
would want to put page-wide footnotes under columns.

It isn't so much that you want to put page-wide footnotes under columns as
that you want to put page-wide footnotes on a page that is mostly
single-column but has a double-column section that just happens to contain a
footnote. See "Section break causes an unexpected page break in Word"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074

As for table footnotes, I rarely have them, and I usually add them only when
editing is complete, but what I do to deal with merged cells of this nature
when it's necessary to resize columns is temporarily split the table, make
the adjustment, then rejoin.

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could
subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

I'm with you, here, Suzanne!

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
Tech Editor for Word & Office 2007 Bibles
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:59:11 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I usually find
that more satisfactory because I don't want to have to scroll all the way to
the bottom of the quoted material to find a reply that may be very short and
often looks like part of the quotation because it was typed in a quoted
blank line. But I like to keep the quoted material below for later
reference.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

If you type SHORTCUTS into the Help files, you'll get a list of all
the shortcuts for Word (or most any software program).

You can also download a Word shortcut doc from this article...

Microsoft Word Shortcuts List