franklinbukoski

Default Hyperlink Return

I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its' section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click on X
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Pat Garard

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its' section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

franklinbukoski

Thank you for your response Suzanne. I added the button, I think, but how do
I make it do what I want it to do? Once I go to Tools, Customize, I get
three tabs, Toolbars, Commands, and Options. What exactly do I do from here?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can add a Go To TOC button to the toolbar
using Tools | Customize (All Commands).

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its' section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click on

and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the

hyperlink
area (table of contents)

franklinbukoski

Thank you Pat, that worked fabulously! Is it possible to place an ICON on
each page, e.g. a pic/clipart image that a user can click on to always return
to the table of contents as well?

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its' section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Pat Garard

G'Day again Franklin,

If you mean EXACTLY what you say, then Yes!

Say you put a heading (not Header) on the TOC Page, above
the TOC:
Table of Contents

Select it, then use InsertBookmark
Name TOC (or whatever)
Click Add

to create a bookmark called (say) TOC - then you will see
faint square brackets:
[Table of Contents]

You can now place any text (say):
Back to Table of Contents
anywhere you please on any page.

Select it, then use InsertHyperlink

At the left, click on Place in This Document
In the main panel under Bookmarks, select
TOC (or whatever you called it)
OK

You can copy this hyperlink, and paste it anywhere else
in that same Document.

CTRL+Click will return the reader to the Heading you
first created.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'
section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click
on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

On the Commands tab, select the All Commands category and scroll down to
"GotoTableOfContents." Select it and drag it to any toolbar. This will work
for most TOCs, though I have found it does *not* work if the TOC contains
entries based on TC fields. It is user-specific, however; adding it to your
toolbar will not make it available to users unless you are creating a
template and save the customization in that template.

In Word 2000, when you click on a hyperlinked TOC entry, the Web toolbar is
automatically displayed, and the Back button will go back to the TOC.
Shift+F5 sometimes works (all versions), but both Back and Shift+F5 depend
on the TOC being the last previous location of the insertion point. The
advantage of the Go To TOC button is that it works at any time regardless of
how much editing you may have down after clicking on the hyperlink.

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can add a Go To TOC button to the

toolbar
using Tools | Customize (All Commands).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'

section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I

click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the

hyperlink
area (table of contents)

TN Techwriter

Another short cut to do the same thing is to hold down the Alt key and press
the left arrow key, that is equivalent to pressing a Back button. This works
in browsers as well. No toolbar views required.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its' section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Joddy23

Suzanne - I have a similar problem. If I insert a hyperlink in the middle of
a page, then click the hyperlink, it takes me to my bookmark (or wherever)
assuming it is same document. Next I want to return to the SPOT where I
originally clicked the hyperlink. I used to have two simple arrows on my
OLDER version of Work (97). Now with 2003 I cannot find it.

Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can add a Go To TOC button to the

toolbar
using Tools | Customize (All Commands).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'

section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I

click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Joddy23

I love you!!!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Display the Web toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can add a Go To TOC button to the
toolbar
using Tools | Customize (All Commands).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"franklinbukoski" wrote

in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'
section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I
click on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to

the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg White

I'm having a similar problem. I've created an index of hyperlinks to
bookmarks - but I didn't use the create TOC command. However the '"back to
index" hyperlinks distributed throughout the document don't take me back up
to the index. Instead they go to the very top of the document. Why?
Greg.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'
section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click
on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathleen Kathleen is offline

Pat,

I figured out how to do this, but am having trouble getting the link to be
active in a header....without having to click on the header. I want the link
to the TOC to appear at the top of each page...I could do it manually, but my
doc is quite long. Do you have any suggestions on how to activate the link in
a header?

Thanks,
Kathleen

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Franklin,

As a more general solution:
ViewToolbars
Click on "Web"

Use the "Back" button to retrace ANY (document) hyperlink
jumps that you have made. (You can use "Forward" also).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I have a table of contents with each category hyperlinked to its'
section.
Once I click on the hyperlink, how do I return to it, e.g. once I click
on
and I go to X section, I want to click on a button to return to the
hyperlink
area (table of contents)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you just want to go back to the TOC, add the GoToTOC button to a toolbar.
A custom toolbar can be saved in the document if necessary.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, you can use Office button | Word Options, Customize to add the
Go to TOC button to the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Hyperlink in Word Attachment ashbronj Microsoft Word Help 0 March 7th 05 06:59 PM
Hyperlink Hijinks Larry Shoots Microsoft Word Help 2 February 28th 05 06:57 PM
hyperlink jr Microsoft Word Help 3 December 9th 04 10:55 PM
After hyperlink, the back button does not return to previous locat jattitude Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 11:24 AM
Using MAILMERGE fields within HYPERLINK fields for Merge to Email Mark V Mailmerge 2 December 4th 04 04:01 PM