Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Default Changing default print settings

Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When I print this
document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it WITHOUT the comments, however,
I tend to forget to change the setting in the Print dialog box, and it is
defaulted to 'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one print only
and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing markup'. Is there a
default setting I change somewhere for printing, so the by default the
comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The printer setting is determined by the document setting on the reviewing
toolbar. If that is set to 'showing markup' then so will the printer.

A workaround would be to intercept the toolbar print button to provide the
choice eg

Sub FilePrintDefault()
Dim sPrint As String
sPrint = MsgBox("Print with Markup", vbYesNo)
If sPrint = vbYes Then
Application.PrintOut Item:= _
wdPrintDocumentWithMarkup
Else
Application.PrintOut Item:= _
wdPrintDocumentContent
End If
End Sub

You can still change individual items from the file print command.

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When I
print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it WITHOUT the
comments, however, I tend to forget to change the setting in the
Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to 'document showing markup',
therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one print
only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing markup'. Is
there a default setting I change somewhere for printing, so the by
default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Graham

Thank you for your reply, however, I have copied your macro and got the
following error message:

Compile Error:
Invalid otside procedure

Any ideas what this means?

Thanks again.
Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When I
print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it WITHOUT the
comments, however, I tend to forget to change the setting in the
Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to 'document showing markup',
therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one print
only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing markup'. Is
there a default setting I change somewhere for printing, so the by
default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

The text 'print with markup' is highlighted.

I have word 2003.

Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When I
print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it WITHOUT
the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the setting in the
Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to 'document showing markup',
therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one print
only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing markup'.
Is there a default setting I change somewhere for printing, so the
by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Copy and paste from the original message to your vba editor

If you mean the ones in the msgbox text, check the quotes around "print with
markup" are straight quotes - I don't know enough about quotes in
international languages if you are not using an English version to suggest a
substitute.

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When I
print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it WITHOUT
the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the setting in
the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to 'document showing
markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Short answer - I don't know. I have crossposted this to the vba forum to see
if anyone can spot what I am missing.

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Louise Louise is offline

OK and thanks very much for your help.

My VBA knowledge is less than limited so I don't even know what to look for.

Thanks again.
Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Jonathan West Jonathan West is offline

Hi Louise

Did you paste everything from "Sub FilePrintDefault()" up to and including
"End Sub"?

Did you follow the exact steps in this article?

What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
out?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Louise Louise is offline

Hi
Yes i copied everything because i couldn't have created that on my own.
i'll read through your article and give it another go.

Thanks.
Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Louise Louise is offline

HI
I have just read through your article and, just to make sure, opened a new
document and copied the macro from scratch, following the instructions. I
still get the same Error message as outlined below though......

Any ideas why?
Thanks
Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Louise Louise is offline

Please help.....!!

This macro is now causing me problems. It has been saved into my normal.dot
so whenever I now click onto the print icon, i get the error message from the
macro saying there is a problem and it cannot run.

I have tried to delete the macro altogether but it says I can't because it
doesn't work properly? I know that, which is why I'm trying to delete it....

How can I remove the macro altogether from normal.dot - whether it works or
not??

Thank you.

Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments. When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to 'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open the macro editor ALT+F11
From the RUN menu, click 'reset'
Close the editor
From Word Tools Macro Macros select the macro from the list and click
delete.

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments.
When I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to
print it WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget
to change the setting in the Print dialog box, and it is
defaulted to 'document showing markup', therefore the
comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that
one print only and when I print it again, it goes back to
'showing markup'. Is there a default setting I change
somewhere for printing, so the by default the comments
don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

I am not sure how you are trying to delete it.

Open the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and then locate the macro and select
and delete it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have a large document which contains numerous comments.
When
I print this document, 9 times out of 10 I want to print it
WITHOUT the comments, however, I tend to forget to change
the
setting in the Print dialog box, and it is defaulted to
'document showing markup', therefore the comments print too.

If I change the setting to 'document', it changes for that
one
print only and when I print it again, it goes back to
'showing
markup'. Is there a default setting I change somewhere for
printing, so the by default the comments don't print?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Louise Louise is offline

Thank you. I was trying to choose 'delete' from the Macros dialog but it
wouldn't let me.

Louise

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Open the macro editor ALT+F11
From the RUN menu, click 'reset'
Close the editor
From Word Tools Macro Macros select the macro from the list and click
delete.

Print default fkosmakos New Users 1 May 28th 06 04:21 AM
Print document without comments by default chaitov Page Layout 1 May 1st 06 12:51 PM
Print Settings saved between sessions Chris Cooper Microsoft Word Help 1 April 4th 06 12:15 PM
Default Print settings adoys Microsoft Word Help 1 March 22nd 06 06:04 AM
Default font settings cannot be saved ryanko Microsoft Word Help 2 March 19th 05 02:42 PM