Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

Default Find & Replace two lines at once

I need to delete two consecutive lines a bunch of times in a single document,
so I thought finding them and replacing them with a single space would do the
trick. I can't seem to get it to find more than one line at a time. I can't
find the answer to this anywhere.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Word's limit in Find and Replace is 255 characters.
Try the VBA newsgroups for a macro solution.

Hope this helps.

Summer
www.docsliveonline.com

"
wrote in message ...
I need to delete two consecutive lines a bunch of times in a single
document,
so I thought finding them and replacing them with a single space would do
the
trick. I can't seem to get it to find more than one line at a time. I
can't
find the answer to this anywhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

I counted the two lines, and there were 34 characters in all. If my question
still belongs in this other VBA newsgroup, please give me the link as I don't
know what VBA stands for.

wrote in message ...
I need to delete two consecutive lines a bunch of times in a single
document,
so I thought finding them and replacing them with a single space would do
the
trick. I can't seem to get it to find more than one line at a time. I
can't
find the answer to this anywhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Try select (highlight) words less than 255 characters and CTRL H for Find
and Replace
CTRL V (paste) in Find
Replace with: Put a space or put a ### set of foreign characters if you need
to do further replacing or don't put a space at all if not required.

The hit Replace All
This will work for less than 255 characters.

Hope this helps.

wrote in message
I need to delete two consecutive lines a bunch of times in a single
document,
so I thought finding them and replacing them with a single space would
do
the
trick. I can't seem to get it to find more than one line at a time. I
can't
find the answer to this anywhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

I have no idea what you just told me to do, so I'll just do this manually
over a few months.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

CTRL H means - to press the keys CTRL and H at the same time
(simultaneously) (referred to as shortcut keys). This brings a dialogue
window up on screen in Word 2003 and previous versions. It also will work in
2007 to commence Find and Replace.

The "More" button is a button that you can press on the open dialogue box
after you press the keys on keyboard ""CTRL"and "H" together to bring Find
and Replace dialogue box to screen.

CTRL C Copy Highlight text with mouse press CTRL and V keys on
keyboard to COPY
CTRL V Paste Locate position to PASTE what you copied in your case
Find: and press CTRL and V keys simultaneously.

These are the most used keys in Office programmes.

Hope this helps a little

"
wrote in message ...
I have no idea what you just told me to do, so I'll just do this manually
over a few months.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

I've already tried all these things, and I still can't get that thing to copy
and paste more than one line at a time. Imagine that I'm trying to copy and
paste a whole paragraph into that find and replace thing, and it's only
letting me paste the very first line of that paragraph. I need to have the
entire paragraph in there, but pressing enter after the first line will only
enable the find/replace function. I need to know how to copy and paste an
entire paragraph into that little line in the find and replace function, and
replace it with may another paragraph that contains more than one line. When
I copy a paragraph and paste it into the first line that says find what, it
only displays the very first line of the paragraph! I don't know how to get
the entire paragraph to come up in that find what space!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

You can only have 255 characters not words. Characters make up words. It is
a fairly simple exercise. Perhaps if you paste the paragraph it would be
easier to assess what you are trying to do.

"
wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

the character limit isn't what I'm having trouble with. When I copy and paste
a paragraph into the "find what" section, it only shows the first line of the
paragraph. I don't know how to explain this any clearer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

the entire paragraph I'm trying to paste into the "find what" line is less
than 100 characters. The fact that I've hit enter after each line in the
paragraph is what's making this difficult. Is there just no option to find
multiple lines at once?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

Let me make this very very easy to understand. Here's the "paragraph" I'm
trying to fix:

TR TDFONT
size=5
BidPay
/TR
TR
TDFONT size=5

There are 58 characters in total. I'm trying to replace that with a single
space. When I copy and paste that block of 58 characters into the "find what"
section, the only thing that's displayed is the first line, which is:

TR TDFONT

When I continue and enter a single blank space into the "replace with"
section, only that very first line is replaced with the single blank space. I
need all six of those lines to be replaced with a single space. Surely
there's got to be a way to do this, and I can't possibly be the only person
having this problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have pressed Enter after each line, then you have a paragraph for
each line, not a single paragraph. You can still find this text, but you'll
need to enter ^p in placeof the paragraph mark; paste the text of the first
line, type ^p, then paste the text of the second line.

"
wrote in message ...
the entire paragraph I'm trying to paste into the "find what" line is less
than 100 characters. The fact that I've hit enter after each line in the
paragraph is what's making this difficult. Is there just no option to find
multiple lines at once?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The end of line character will be either ^p or ^l (probably the former) so
you can search for

TR TDFONT^psize=5^pBidPay^p/TR^pTR^pTDFONT size=5
or
TR TDFONT^lsize=5^lBidPay^l/TR^lTR^lTDFONT size=5
*without* the wildcard option

See also http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm , but I warn you
there are a lot of reserved characters in that string which will conspire
against producing a valid wildcard search.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] yumiko@yumikoawae.com is offline

Graham, Suzanne, thanks for understanding my question!!! I finally got
everything fixed. Thank you so so so so much.