EINZIG

Default Umlauting vowels

In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful things
like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding down the 'Alt'
key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad entering three digits.
Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248; pound
sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in there too.
This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what has occurred? I
think this is pretty snazzy facility, but probably there is somewhere an
easier, better way to access these useful symbols. HELP! [please]
Errol Wobcke

Jay Freedman

EINZIG wrote:
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful
things like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding
down the 'Alt' key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad
entering three digits. Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248;
pound sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in
there too. This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what
has occurred? I think this is pretty snazzy facility, but
probably there is somewhere an easier, better way to access these
useful symbols. HELP! [please] Errol Wobcke

Hi Errol,

There are two separate issues here. I don't know why the Alt+number pad
method wouldn't work in Word, unless perhaps you have the NumLock key turned
off -- but then it wouldn't work in other programs, either.

In Word, but not in other programs, there is an easier way. Word has
shortcuts for many special characters. For example, to get any character
that can take an umlaut, type Ctrl+Shift+: and then type the character, such
as o or O. (To remember this, think of the colon as a sideways umlaut.) The
default shortcuts are shown at the bottom of the Insert Symbol dialog when
you select the character. Also see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a list.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Joseph McGuire

Einzig:

Jay is quite right. That is the easiest way to insert occasional foreign
characters in Word, such as the umlaut. Trying to remember Alt and numbers
seems a bit harder, but obviously it was OK for you. Unfortunately, my
experience is that the Ctrl+Shift stuff works only in Word.

If you are using a foreign language a lot, such as German, you can set up
your keyboard for that language in Word, and toggle back and forth between
that language and English, or any other language. The big problem is that
unless you have an actual keyboard for that language, you have to remember
what keys produce which characters. Drove me nuts.

"EINZIG" wrote in message
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful things
like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding down the

'Alt'
key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad entering three digits.
Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248; pound
sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in there too.
This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what has occurred?

think this is pretty snazzy facility, but probably there is somewhere an
easier, better way to access these useful symbols. HELP! [please]
Errol Wobcke

Einzig

Thanx Jay
This certainly is easier for umlauts - I have not yet explored your "also
see" but will do so asap. My main concern is the vowels
Thank you again

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

EINZIG

Thanx Suzanne
I tried your suggestion, but still no joy. Have another method from Jay
Freedman that solves 99% of my problem
Thank you again
errol wobcke

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Einzig

Thanx Joseph
Yes, I concur, Jay's is the best solution for my needs. It is only
occasionally that the umlaut is essential in German - mostly oe ue [und so
weiter] can be employed without sacrifice of accuracy. If indeed this works
only in Word, my 'old' way still works in OE, so I'm in good shape!
Thank you again
errol wobcke

"EINZIG" wrote in message
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful things
like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding down the

'Alt'
key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad entering three digits.
Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248; pound
sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in there too.
This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what has occurred?

think this is pretty snazzy facility, but probably there is somewhere an
easier, better way to access these useful symbols. HELP! [please]
Errol Wobcke

EINZIG

G'day again Suzanne
Playing around with four-digit entries, I found some interesting things; is
there a list of characters and their access numbers available? Is there one,
do you know, for three-digit entries?
Thanks again
errol woebcke

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

The four digit ones are the same as the three-digit ones with a zero added.
You can see these numbers (as shortcut keys) in Insert | Symbol if you set
the "from" setting to "ASCII (decimal)" instead of "Unicode (hex)."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The reason the numeric keypad method isn't working is that Einzig is

using
the three-digit ASCII codes for the characters. This method can still be
used in Word but requires four-digit codes; just add 0 to the front:
Alt+0xxx.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Limey Di

Your point qbout not knowing which keys produce what characters is not a
minor one; I need to toggle between severql keyboards,; and nowhere can I
find a character map or over lay or AN YTHING to figure this out - it seems
the only solution is to strike every key in every lqngqge set qnd keep q file
of the results ::: Oh and did I mention that the key to switch keyboards
often gets hit by mistake???
--
Thanks for sharing your knowledge - Di

"EINZIG" wrote in message
In Word 2000 until recently I could umlaut vowels, and find useful things
like the pound-sterling symbol, the degree symbol, by holding down the

'Alt'
key, whilst simultaneously on the numeric keypad entering three digits.
Such as:
lower case 'o' - 148; upper case 'O' - 153; degree symbol -248; pound
sterling sign - 156; and so on. I am sure much other stuff in there too.
This method still works in OE, and in MS Works 7.0 - what has occurred?

think this is pretty snazzy facility, but probably there is somewhere an
easier, better way to access these useful symbols. HELP! [please]
Errol Wobcke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christine Christine is offline

I know this is an 'old' one and I have read the previous discussion thread.

However, "CTRL,SHIFT : letter" only works on my laptop if I have the
capslock on. Then I obviously only get capitals with umlauts. If I don't put
the capslock on then I get nothing at all.

On my old PC (not a laptop) I was always able to get the umlauts using ALT
132/ 148/129 using the righthand numbers keypad. On the laptop I only have
numbers across the top of the keypad and the ALT ++ does not work. I have
alos tried adding a 0 in front of the numbers. The numlock key is definitely
not turned off.

I can use 'insert symbol' but this is very time consuming

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My guess is that you are not releasing the shift key before typing the
letter. The shortcut is actually Ctrl+colon, letter. You have to press Shift
to get a colon instead of a semi-colon, but you then need to release the
shift key before typing a lowercase letter in order to get an umlauted
lowercase letter.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

The short cut in Word 2007 is Ctrl+Shift+Colon, release all kesy and then
type the vowel

Test umlault

Ctrl+Shift+Colon u

gives

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad of your success.

"Christine" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne - it works!!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

EINZIG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori Lori is offline

www.quickstudy.com has a quick reference guide to a lot of different
characters using the Alt key plus a 4 digit number. On my friends computer it
works like magic, but not on mine. I've tried with the numbers lock on and
off but still nothing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Loriane