Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Walter Mitchell Pelowski Walter Mitchell Pelowski is offline

Default Pictures (right/left align) cut off after being anchored to paragr

The problem that I am having is I'm trying to consistently include images in
documents without them overwrapping the footer or getting cut-off at the end
of a page. For smaller images (often cropped screenshots) I usually use the
following options:
(This shows you options for an image appearing on the right.)
Word Version: 2003

Format Picture Layout:
Layout Wrapping style - Tight
Layout Horizontal alignment - Right

Advanced Layout Properties:
Picture Position Horizontal Alignment - Right relative to Margin
Picture Position Vertical Alignment - Top relative to Line
Picture Position Options - Move object with text
Text Wrapping Wrapping style - Right
Text Wrapping Wrap Text - Left only

These options work great for what I need them to do with one major
exception. Images that near the end of a page sometimes get cut-off. They
sometimes show over the footer and do not force the paragraph to wrap to the

I'm fairly proficient with styles and it's not a situation with errant "keep
with next" styles or anything like that. It just seems to me that Word is
not sophisticated enough to calculate where the bottom of the image is going
to fall (based on the dimensions of the image and the location of the
paragraph) to push it to the next page if the situation calls for it.

I know I can use inline images but aesthetically, that's a bad idea for the
images to which I'm referring. These images are ideally suited to floating
left or right on a paragraph and because they directly pertain to a specific
paragraph or paragraph(s) it makes sense to anchor them to the paragraph so
the content stays intact.

Am I grossly misunderstanding or not utilizing some feature in Word or is
this a glaring deficiency in the program? I've had this problem for years
now and despite my best attempts to search for an answer (both on the Web and
in books) I have not been able to find a solution.

Any help you can provide in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

(I'm sorry if this should be in the "Drawing and Graphics" discussion group.
I wasn't sure which would be the appropriate group.)

--
Walter Mitchell Pelowski
Web Application Developer & Trainer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hello Walter

Walter Mitchell Pelowski wrote:
[..]
[...]

I don't think you're missing something. After more than a decade of
working in Word, I'm accepting the paradigm that Word's floating
pictures and automatic pagination are mutually exclusive (exactly
because of the described effects near page margins): If I need the
latter, I refuse to use Shapes. If I'm forced to Shapes, I will have to
inspect all of them after a major page reflow.

Sorry, I don't have a better solution, either.
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Walter Mitchell Pelowski Walter Mitchell Pelowski is offline

Default Pictures (right/left align) cut off after being anchored to pa

Thank you for the response Robert. I'm simply amazed that this issue has
not yet been fixed as it must be a common one with users.

Thanks again.