BetsyR

Default Weird trouble with Word mail merge

I created a mail merge in Word with some pretty complicated word fields in
addition to the merge fields.

In the data source I have four sets of fields with the same type of info
that are numbered.

i.e. name1, address1, phone1
name2, address2, phone2
name3, address3, phone3
name4, address4, phone4

Now here comes the weird part. When I use only the first two sets of data
fields in my document everything is just fine, but when I try to add the
EXACT same merge fields for the third or fourth set of data fields, the word
document acts as if there is something in the third field even when it is
blank.

More specifically, I asked it to insert certain text if the field is not
blank and it inserts that text even if the field is blank.

Now here's the even weirder thing, if I only add two sets of data fields and
no more, everything works fine. It doesn't matter which numbered sets of
fields I use as long as I only use two of them. As soon as I add a third set
of the same fields (with a different number) I get the same result. So it is
not like it corresponds to only the data in the third set of fields. The
error seems to correspond to whichever set of fields I place third in my
document.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea what the trouble might be and how
I can fix it.

Doug Robbins

If using If...then...else fields, have you tried updating the fields in the
document?

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"BetsyR" wrote in message
[...]

BetsyR

Yup, just tried that. I have to admit I wasn't sure what you meant at first,
but I looked it up in the help menu and found it. Made no difference at all.

Thanks for your response.

"BetsyR" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins

Send me the document and I will take a look at it if you like.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

If using If...then...else fields, have you tried updating the fields in
the
document?

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"BetsyR" wrote in message
[...]

BetsyR

I just tried to send the files to the email address that comes up when I
click on your name in the discussion, but it came back undeliverable.

Please let me know where to send it. I would love for you to give it a look.

Thanks,
Betsy

"BetsyR" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins

If you take a look at my email address, it will be pretty obvious what you
have to do with it to get it to work.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP