Guy

Default Sharing a custom dictionary?

I want to have my word additions to the speller available on all the
different computers I work on, without having to add them on every machine
seperately.

Is there a way to set up a custom dictionary on the web to be shared between
several computers, either simultanously or one at a time?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Not over the web. The Add dialog that lets you add a custom dictionary does
not accept internet addresses. However, if there's some way you can set up a
network drive name for it, it might be possible (using a VPN, for example?).
You wouldn't be able to access it from multiple computers at the same time,
however, due to permission issues.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Guy" wrote in message
I want to have my word additions to the speller available on all the
different computers I work on, without having to add them on every machine
seperately.

Is there a way to set up a custom dictionary on the web to be shared
between
several computers, either simultanously or one at a time?

Helmut Weber

Hi Herb,

what I have observed is, that a common custom dictionary
on a network drive works without problems, whereby all my
users have full access. However, adding new words to
the dictionary fails for all users but the last one to
close word. As it seems, the custom dictionary is read into
the memory of the local machine, if Word is a local application,
and written back on closing Word.

Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
Helmut Weber, MVP
"red.sys" & chr(64) & "t-online.de"
Word XP, Win 98
http://word.mvps.org/
Guy

Thanks Herb,
But is there any [free] web service giving a little storage space that one
can map as a network drive?
Guy