Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

Default How do I eliminate the line above endnotes?

You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the first
endnote.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Switch to Normal view (Draft in Word 2007) and View | Footnotes (References
| Footnotes | Show Notes in Word 2007). Select Endnotes if given a choice
(you won't be unless you have both footnotes and endnotes in the document).
In the dropdown list on the toolbar in the Endnotes pane, select Endnote
Separator. Select the separator and delete it. You may want to format the
paragraph as 1 pt. You'll probably also want to delete the Endnote
Continuation Separator.

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

Suzanne, thank you for trying! I am using the &&^$#@^ 2007, so I set it at
Draft, then went to References/Show Notes. But I don't see the "dropdown
list in the toolbar in the endnotes pane" that you mention. I right click
within the pane, but I only get the same menu that I get if I click on
"footnotes" in the menu at the top of the page, which doesn't have anything
like "endnote separator" in it, even when I click on "notes options." Can
you help me find that toolbar???????

Thank you!

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Assuming that the document contains at least one endnote, when you use Show
Notes in Draft view, you should see an Endnote pane at the bottom of the
screen. At the top of that screen is a toolbar with just one dropdown list
box, showing All Endnotes. Click the arrow beside this and choose Endnote
Separator or Endnote Continuation Separator.

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

Thank you for your quick reply! I realized that whereas I am using (*&&^^%
2007, I had set my document for '97-'03 compatibility, and so the pulldown
didn't show up. It all works great - except now, for some reason I don't
understand, I have a long line as a separator, even though the line itself
has been deleted! I'll figure it out.

THANK YOU for your patience.

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You probably didn't delete the Endnote Continuation Separator, which is one
of Word's more illogical consistencies (consistent with Footnote
Separator/Footnote Continuation Separator, but betraying zero knowledge of
what multiple pages of endnotes would ordinarily look like).

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
Thank you for your quick reply! I realized that whereas I am using
(*&&^^%

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

Suzanne, you are a kindhearted and patient soul. I *did* delete both the
separator and the continuation separator, but that long line is still there
both as a separator, and when the notes run to a new column, as the
continuation separator. I'm working in two columns, and it runs virtually
the entire length of the column.

When I do alt-v, f and go to that menu to "reset" the separator, if I put
the normal separator back in, *both* lines show up!!!!!!!!!!

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Now that really *is* bizarre. I wonder if the separator paragraph has
acquired a border, or the endnotes have acquired a border, or something
weird like that. If you want to send me a portion of the document
illustrating the problem, I'll take a look, but I warn you I'm not really up
to speed on Word 2007, so I might miss something.

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above
the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

Yes, that's what it looks like -- like the separator paragraph has acquired a
border.. But I can't click on the paragraph sign for the separator paragraph,
so I can't check it or fix it. It's a short document -- how might I take you
up on your kind offer to have me send it to you?

"Seenewnow" wrote in message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above
the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Send it to the email address you find when you click on my name. But can't
you check on the borders when you have access to the separator in Draft
view?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Switch to Normal view (Draft in Word 2007) and View | Footnotes
(References
| Footnotes | Show Notes in Word 2007). Select Endnotes if given
choice
(you won't be unless you have both footnotes and endnotes in the
document).
In the dropdown list on the toolbar in the Endnotes pane, select
Endnote
Separator. Select the separator and delete it. You may want to
format
the
paragraph as 1 pt. You'll probably also want to delete the
Endnote
Continuation Separator.

"Seenewnow" wrote in
message
You know, the ruled line that word automatically inserts above
the
first
endnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seenewnow Seenewnow is offline

well, we make a good team -- you are a genius and i am an idiot. yes, i
could check on them in draft view, and yes, it was a border. so it's removed
and i'm good to go now. the only thing that's too bad is that the thing i
would have sent you to fix is completely fascinating!

in all seriousness, thanks a million.