Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rick@#$*! Rick@#$*! is offline

Default How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007?

How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled version is toooo
complicated....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Summer Summer is offline

If you have a column row with figures tab to next row and move to column you
wish to Sum (there should already be at least one amount say "10" in the Sum
column.

Press Insert Layout Formula (end of ribbon) {= SUM(ABOVE } will appear Press
ALT F9 to toggle this code view.

Hope this helps.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled version is
toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Or with the cursor in the cell where you want the calculation, Insert
Quick Parts Field = (Formula field) and again =Sum(Above) will be the
default.
Note that with 'Summer's' method, the cursor has to be in the table for the
layout tab to appear on the ribbon.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled version is
toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
P.O.'d with Microsoft P.O.'d with Microsoft is offline

I still can't get it to work!!! I loved Wordperfect, but gave it up with my
new Vista PC because I had to replace almost ALL my software- at great
expense (but that's another matter). What I CAN'T BELIEVE is that Microsoft
has decided that summing a column in Word is not one of the most normal and
NECESSARY functions. I KNOW that I could remake my invoices to use Excell
instead - but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO?? It is enough to make me decide to
discard MS Office altogether. I was happier with WordPerfect and Quattrro!!
and if all the $!%$@! thing needs is ONE SUM, why should I convert it? Even
the latest AutoCAD software has annoying features (or lack of them) in Vista.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled version is
toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

With the table cell where you want the sum to appear selected, click on the table 'Layout' Ribbon tab, then click the formula icon
and type in your forumla (eg =SUM(ABOVE) or =SUM(A1:A5), or whatever else it is you need) and add the appropriate numeric formatting
switch from the dropdown. Not at all difficult, really.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Or with the cursor in the cell where you want the calculation, Insert
Quick Parts Field = (Formula field) and again =Sum(Above) will be the
default.
Note that with 'Summer's' method, the cursor has to be in the table for the
layout tab to appear on the ribbon.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled version is
toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If there are amounts to sum in the column above the cell in which you want
to insert the total, clicking the formula button with the cursor in that
cell will offer to insert the =Sum(Above) by default. Hardly rocket science.

macropod wrote:
Hi,

With the table cell where you want the sum to appear selected, click
on the table 'Layout' Ribbon tab, then click the formula icon and
type in your forumla (eg =SUM(ABOVE) or =SUM(A1:A5), or whatever else
it is you need) and add the appropriate numeric formatting switch
from the dropdown. Not at all difficult, really.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled
version is toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
VAUTOUR 110 VAUTOUR 110 is offline

ALl above explanations are false - if there are blank fields interspersed
within the column to be summed-up. In that case, one needs to position the
cursor in each blank field and calling the SUM(ABOVE). Then adding
individually all the SUM(ABOVE)s.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled
version is toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There is an easier way to handle that situation

Use the equivalent of { = Sum(A1:A5) } which will correctly sum the values
in the first five rows of the first column of a table, regardless of whether
or not there are empty cells in that range.

To learn more about Word Field Maths, see fellow MVP Macropod's Word Field
Maths Tutorial at:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=365442

or at:

http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Rick@#$*!" wrote in message
How do I sum a column in a table in Word 2007? New-fangled
version is toooo
complicated....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Not false - merely incomplete. However the answer completely addressed the
question that was asked ... in July 2007!