NJCurmudgeon NJCurmudgeon is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Indexing Tags in Word; xe versus XE

I have a book I'm layout out where the files were supplied as a Word doc. I have Word 2002. I use Editorium's QuarkConverter to convert these files, with their tags, into text files I can import into my PC Quark 4.1 that will retain all the formatting. This software also translates the indexing tags so I can regenerate the index in Quark for the final product. This has worked fine for previous jobs, but I am now having an issue that I believe may be due to how the index tags were generated in the original Word doc. The index tags disappear altogether after conversion and can not be seen in the resulting text file. All other formatting tags appear and seem to be working correctly.

When I convert the Word doc into the text file, the index tags in the file that doesn't work appear as "xe". I opened the text file from a job where the conversion worked fine and see that the tags are "XE". After they are converted in QuarkConverter, they should go from "XE" to "XI" but with the present file, the "xe" all just disappear as if they are not being seen as valid tags. The only difference I can see between the files that work and the one that doesn't is in the capitalization of the tag code.

Another clue is that I have to convert the present problem file from Unicode to ANSI. I have done this before with other files using Wordpad to simply open the file and re-save it in ANSI format. However, when I open the trouble file in Wordpad, in its original Unicode format, the index tags do not appear. This makes me believe that the loss of the index tag happens in the conversion process and, since it's worked before with the "XE" tags, perhaps something is happening when they generated the original index that resulted in the "xe" tags that appear to be the problem.

Can anyone help me? I'm working against a deadline and his is an obvious problem! Thank you!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Indexing Tags in Word; xe versus XE

Although the techniques for inserting field codes in Word insert the codes
in U/C the codes are not case sensitive. If a user inserts the code manually
s/he may very well type the code in l/c... IOW, 'XE' & 'xe' are the same as
far as Word is concerned. The converter you're using may, however, be case
sensitive. It may recognize that there is a field but not as one it knows
how to convert, the result being that it skips over it altogether. Have you
checked with The Editorium?

If necessary, you can use Find & Replace in Word to make the case conversion
as long as you have the non-printing characters displayed in the document &
specify 'Match Case'.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/2/10 4:46 PM, in article ,
"NJCurmudgeon" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I tried that, but it didn't work.

I emailed the Editorium developer - who is normally good about getting back to me - but my emails bounced back due to a full inbox. Sigh.

Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTaz View Post