Mysterious Paragraph Indentation with No Tabs, Codes, or Paragraph Settings

Old June 22nd 15, 04:14 PM
GSRock GSRock is offline

Smile Mysterious Paragraph Indentation with No Tabs, Codes, or Paragraph Settings

I receive a document from a data service in MS Word format and need to reformat those documents. When there are block quotes or lists which are indented, the text appears indented. However, when I inspect the formatting, there are no tab marks, nothing seen in show codes, and when I go to the paragraph menu, there are no hanging indents, first line indents, etc. When I try to apply a style to this indented text, it does style; however, the phantom indentation remains. The only way to style the paragraph and get rid of the paragraph is to go to the end of the previous line, delete the carriage return, so that the indented text joins that previous paragraph, then insert a new carriage return. After that, everything works as expected. Does anyone know how this paragraph is indenting with no tabs, codes, etc. I have tried opening it in both MS Word 2013 and 2010 with the same result.