Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Brian Smith Brian Smith is offline

Default Numbering in Tables--Down then Across

Say I have a 2x10 table in Word 2003 (SP3--just realized it got installed
without me noticing!) and I want to number the items in table going from 1
to 10 in the first column and then from 11 to 20 in the second column. Seems
like a simple thing to do and I'm sure I've done this plenty of times
before. Now I get the numbering going across sequentially as follows.

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
etc.

instead of

1 11
2 12
3 13
4 14
etc.

Is this a SP3 bug? Is there a workaround short of typing in the numbers
myself?

Thanks.

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Luc Luc is offline

Brian,
Maybe work on a column basis, select the first column and apply numbering,
select the second column apply numbering which should restart at one, then
change the beginning number in the bullets and numbering dialog to start at
11.

--

Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"Brian Smith" schreef in bericht
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the numbers are part of the same list, they are always going to number
across, then down. You can achieve separate lists using SEQ fields (with
different identifiers), but if you want the list to be continuous, you'd
have to set a start value for each column.

Alternatively, if the table can be configured as a single column, then you
can put the table itself into snaking (newspaper-style) columns, and the
numbering will then follow the desired sequence.

http://word.mvps.org

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the numbers are part of the same list, they are always going to number
across, then down. You can achieve separate lists using SEQ fields (with
different identifiers), but if you want the list to be continuous, you'd
have to set a start value for each column.

Alternatively, if the table can be configured as a single column, then you
can put the table itself into snaking (newspaper-style) columns, and the
numbering will then follow the desired sequence.

Your last suggestion sounds like the easiest to implement.

Thanks.

Brian

P.S. If anyone at Microsoft is listening the option to number across or down
should be implemented. You'd think that down would be default as that is how
lists are numbered--down one column and then across and down the next
column.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm useful (labels are
tables).

Brian Smith wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the numbers are part of the same list, they are always going to
number across, then down. You can achieve separate lists using SEQ
fields (with different identifiers), but if you want the list to be
continuous, you'd have to set a start value for each column.

Alternatively, if the table can be configured as a single column,
then you can put the table itself into snaking (newspaper-style)
columns, and the numbering will then follow the desired sequence.

Your last suggestion sounds like the easiest to implement.

Thanks.

Brian

P.S. If anyone at Microsoft is listening the option to number across
or down should be implemented. You'd think that down would be default
as that is how lists are numbered--down one column and then across
and down the next column.

Numbering Tables PJY Microsoft Word Help 0 December 5th 08 09:42 PM
Numbering Tables Nina Microsoft Word Help 0 December 5th 08 09:31 PM
numbering within cell tables Karen Tables 1 August 22nd 08 01:56 PM
numbering in tables F Jolivette Tables 1 December 1st 06 08:54 PM
Numbering in tables BarryD Microsoft Word Help 2 September 23rd 06 02:29 PM