Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

Default table style question, space before and after

I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of a
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Immediately following a table is a paragraph formatting mark (the reversed P
symbol or pilcrow): this holds the formatting parameters of the table. If
you select it (it should select the whole table) and you can use Format,
Paragraph and set the Space Before and Space After settings.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
ps.com...
I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of a
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

Hmmmm. I'm using Word 2003, and I don't see any pilcrow at the end of
a table. There's a pilcrow at the end of the paragraph that is right
after the table, and it's formatted as Body Text.

It seems like something is not right with Word. In the table style
assigned to the table, for the Header Row I set 12 points space
before, and this does just what I want and what I expect. When I set
12 points space after for the Last Row, this does nothing! Is there
some trick to getting that to work?

I just discovered that if I set double line spacing for the Last Row,
that seems to produce 12 points of space after just the last row.
That will be good enough for this particular situation since my tables
only have one line of text in the last row. It wouldn't work
otherwise.

Brian

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Immediately following a table is a paragraph formatting mark (the reversed P
symbol or pilcrow): this holds the formatting parameters of the table. If
you select it (it should select the whole table) and you can use Format,
Paragraph and set the Space Before and Space After settings.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message

ps.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of a
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

No good. Double spacing on the last row doesn't create any space
after if the table only has one row. Darn.

Brian

On Sep 15, 8:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of a
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can add some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab)
to the paragraph mark following the table.

Note that if the paragraph below has Spacing Before, Word will only display
the larger amount of the two settings for Spacing Before and After.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...

On Sep 15, 8:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of a
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I usually just add Space After to the text before the table and Space Before
to the paragraph after the table. I have a Body Text Space Before style that
I use for this and other applications where I want to leave extra space
above a paragraph.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
You can add some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph, Indents and Spacing

tab)
to the paragraph mark following the table.

Note that if the paragraph below has Spacing Before, Word will only

display
the larger amount of the two settings for Spacing Before and After.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...

On Sep 15, 8:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not between rows of

table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

I can't seem to find a paragraph mark after a table (Word 2003).

Is there some trick to finding it?

At the end of the last row of the table I see only a little square.

The very next line after the last row of the table is the first line
of the next paragraph.

Brian

On Sep 17, 4:59 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
You can add some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab)
to the paragraph mark following the table.

Note that if the paragraph below has Spacing Before, Word will only display
the larger amount of the two settings for Spacing Before and After.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...

[...]