Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JorgenNM JorgenNM is offline

Default How to open a template located in an ordinary folder

I am using word2000 and winXP.
I have created a number of templates for different use. They are stored on a
file server in my folder. Further I have made an introduction sheet (or a
contnets sheet) where the files.doc and templates.dot in my folder are
listed. I have made hyperlinks from this introduction sheet to each of the
documnets and templates in the folder.
When I click a document it opens as expected OK.
When I click a template it opens as a template.dot and not as a
template.doc, which normallay happens when I open from File, New ...
How do I work around this problem.
Thanks in advance
Jorgen.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jorgen,

Do you have the same behavior if you double click the template from Windows Explorer? If so you may want to use
Start=Run
Winword.exe /r

If not, hyperlinks to templates on a mapped or remote drive of a server will sometimes end up with the behavior you are seeing where
a hyperlink will open the templates. See if the work around in this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278627/en-us?FR=1 , to
link to a Windows shortcut (.Lnk) that in turn links to the template has a different result.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP