JD

Default Regarding background program and Write documents

I suddenly find a program called CTFMON.EXE running in the background. I
learn from Answers That Work that it is related to Word XP, specifically
with Text Services and Speech (in Control Panel) and that it should be
disabled if I don't use it. I don't find such an applet in the Control
Panel. How can I turn this off?
Word Help tells me to uncheck "Save Speech Data" in the "Language Bar." What
is the Language Bar and where do I find it?
And, of course, I also wonder if it has anything to do with the appearance
of ctfmon.
I just opened a Readme file from one of my apps and it opened as a "Write
Document." I'd like to know what that means--and whether it could have
triggered this new background program.